Cleaning gaffer tape glue from a C stand

Cian Daly

I work at a small rental company which sometimes rents to idiots. One of these idiots decided to cover a c stand in black gaffer tape. The gaffer tape was left on there for months (this was before my tenure!) and had now broken down and almost hardened to a gum. I've tried metylated spirits and a rag and this has helped to clean some of it but not all. I was considering sandpaper, or even running a blowtorch/handtorch along the stand for a few seconds. Is this a terrible idea? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

My first attempt would be with Laquer Thinner or gasoline/diesel fuel.

If this didn't work I'd break out the MAP gas torch and heat up the glue. Don't sit on any one spot too long, just enough to heat the gum. Once heated I'd use some goof off.

I wouldn't sand it. To be honest I'd probably just replace the main tube at what, $40? But if you have a shop full of guys I'd get the one who did this and make him fix it...along with every stand I owned. Afterwards he would be scraping paper tape off speedrail.

Have fun with it!

Oh, once clean use some McGuires carnuba wax and a medium steel wool for a nice final finish.

Gaffer tape residue can be quite brittle so I'd try scraping it off, first with a plastic or wooden ruler (or spatula, if you can get away with it in your kitchen), then moving up some flat metal tool or other.

• Premium Member

3M makes an adhesive remover available in quarts and gallons.

"General Purpose Adhesive Remover" #089848

I've been using it for years to strip adhesive residue off of electronics equipment. Like all such products it's best to test it on painted and plastic surfaces.

Auto supply stores often have it and I've seen it at the home box stores.

It's pretty stinky, it's best to use it outdoors and dispose of any used rags and paper towels to an outside dumpster. Use it inside and you risk finding yourself extremely unpopular with any woman within 50' of where you're cleaning the C-Stands.

• 1 month later...

While I have not had this exact scenario before, I have found various types of glue can be removed with the following, in order of my personal preference:

Lighter Fluid - Best in my experience for glue residue (I've used it on bumper stickers with great success)

Acetone - Very handy for cleaning many various unknown residues off things in my experience

Goo-Gone - I second the person who already mentioned this. I've found it equal to lighter fluid, just a commercial product.

Edited by Michele Peterson

• 1 month later...