Need to sell my Nizo 481

Jim Jonger

I Used to be in broadcast and also privately directed some music videos but am no longer in the business. During that time my set designer traded his Nizo 481 for a classic wood large format bellows camera that I was using as office decor:-)

I jumped on the offer since the first award I ever received was when I made a 8mm short using my, now deceased, two best friends as the actors back in 76' when we were in the 9th grade but that's a different story. So I thought I would get into shooting 8mm but life got in the way or should I say my now ex-wife :-)

Unfortunately, I never got around to using the Nizo. I have taken it out of the bag inserted 6 AA batteries and everything seems to be working perfectly.

Could one of you fine folk give me an approximate going rate for a working Nizo 481?

Maybe a film student could use it or one of you.

BTW there are no scratches on it or the lens and everything seems to be fine.

I really would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Jim

Matthew, thank you for your reply. To be honest with you it's a little bit under my expectations.

After I posted here, I found this www.duallcamera.com/store/index.shtml if you go to the left hand menu under cameras/super8 then scroll down enough there is a Nizo 481 that has sold for $400.

Because I am not a professional camera seller and I know nothing about this camera, i.e. I can't give you any support. I would be willing to sell it for half of the market price or $200. I think that this seems to be more of a win win price for both me and you or whomever wishes to take it. I'll be more than happy to show it to you or any seriously interested party live via Skype to overcome any doubts regarding the validity of it.

I think that if as you say these are fragile than this could be used as a good parts camera for a current 481 or the other way around.

If anyone is interested in pursuing this further but prefers to communicate discreetly you can always email me by clicking on my username then choosing the "click here to email me" link under my profile. I really do want to sell this to someone that can put it to good use.

Thanks again.

I Used to be in broadcast and also privately directed some music videos but am no longer in the business. During that time my set designer traded his Nizo 481 for a classic wood large format bellows camera that I was using as office decor:-)

I jumped on the offer since the first award I ever received was when I made a 8mm short using my, now deceased, two best friends as the actors back in 76' when we were in the 9th grade but that's a different story. So I thought I would get into shooting 8mm but life got in the way or should I say my now ex-wife :-)

Unfortunately, I never got around to using the Nizo. I have taken it out of the bag inserted 6 AA batteries and everything seems to be working perfectly.

Could one of you fine folk give me an approximate going rate for a working Nizo 481?

Maybe a film student could use it or one of you.

BTW there are no scratches on it or the lens and everything seems to be fine.

I really would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Jim

Hi Jim!

A nice little camera that! I have been using Nizos for the last 10 years and love them - they are very versitile little cameras - very pleasing design - lots of features - give good results and more improtantly they are perhaps one of the easiest of super 8 cameras to get serviced.

Well I've looked at that du-all site and I must say that their prices are a little on the steep side. I would say that $400 is not a fair market value for the camera. Even so they state that each camera has had a full overhaul and offer 30 day g'tee. This is where they seem to be inflating the value. For a really genuine fair market value of a fully serviced Nizo 481 with a 90 day g'tee you need to look here - http://super8arena.com/braun-nizo-481-3-p-341.html

$170 - is your fair market value for a fully serviced mint condition camera with 90 days warranty.

But remember your camera has not been serviced and comes with no warranty so you must lower this price.

I would say that Matthew's offer of $100 is not an unreasonable one, however you might perhaps get more by placing a private add - or put it on eBay.

eBay has dented the resale value of Nizo cameras - 10 years ago you could have easily got you $200 for it without too much hassle.

Shooting a test roll of film with it and showing the results would help to increase the value and/or tempt more buyers. You really can't say that the camera has been fully tested until some test footage has been made with it. An untested camera is not as valuable as a tested one. Remember too that the lightmeter takes 2 cell batteries - have you tested the lightmeter?

I am not trying to be hard on you Jim, but I have a lot of experience (10 years) of buying using and selling Nizo cameras and offer you my advice based this.

I do not agree with Matthew though that these cameras are fragile - they are pretty well made cameras - and are easier to get serviced than many others.

Why not get the camera out load it up with all the batteries needed - the 6AA and the 2 cells needed for the light meter - but some film and shoot with it for the first time after all these years - you never know you might want to keep it!

Jamie

• Premium Member

Jamie, what I meant by fragile is when you compare them to say a Canon 1014 or even the Elmo 1012sxl. Those cameras have weight to them whereas the Nizo 481 feels like its hollow on the inside. I like the little cameras though and they have fine optics. But I have came close to buying some in person that have always had one problem or the other and usually it is that one of the dials is broken. The last one I was going to buy at a local camera store was perfect except that the manual exposure dial did not adjust exposure any longer. Since I shoot full manual with an external meter, that was as good as broken to me.

Jamie, what I meant by fragile is when you compare them to say a Canon 1014 or even the Elmo 1012sxl. Those cameras have weight to them whereas the Nizo 481 feels like its hollow on the inside. I like the little cameras though and they have fine optics. But I have came close to buying some in person that have always had one problem or the other and usually it is that one of the dials is broken. The last one I was going to buy at a local camera store was perfect except that the manual exposure dial did not adjust exposure any longer. Since I shoot full manual with an external meter, that was as good as broken to me.

Hi Matthew. That is fair enough based on your experiences. Please remember that the Nizo 481 is pushing 40 so it is not unreasonable that some examples are showing signs of their age. It really depends on how they were looked after and how hard a working life they have had. I think if you are honest most super 8 cameras of that age have at least one thing that is not perfect any more. The Nizo circuit board would be the problem for the manual exposure not working properly - and it is possible to get things like this fixed.

About the heft - you have to remember that the camera was engineered with balance in mind - you can stand the camera on its hand grip a flat surafce and it will stand perfectly balanced. The panels are made from the same light and durable alloy as aircraft fuselage. The Elmo 1012 weighs just over a pound more than the Nizo 481 - but this is because of the larger optics and don't forget all the onboard sound gear on the Elmo that the Nizo does not have - that is actually dead weight these days. Try balancing an Elmo 1012 on its grip!

Matthew - I think you will love using a Nizo - there are so many fun features. Why not buy one from super8arena.com? All the cameras have been lubed, recalibrated and come with a 90 warranty. The guy who runs the store is a seasoned Nizo technician - he can fix most issues with these cameras and some parts are still available. He is in Germany - the home of the Nizo. I seem to remember that you bought your first Elmo 1012s-xl from another online store in Germany?

Usually when people refer to http://super8arena.com/ the site is down. Is this on and off?

[b][size="1"][i]Internal Server Error[/i][/size][/b]
[size="1"][i]   The server encountered an unexpected condition that prevented it from fulfilling the request.  [/i][/size]

[size="1"][i]    Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@super8arena.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.[/i][/size]

[size="1"][i]More information about this error may be available in the server error log.[/i][/size]

[b][size="1"][i]Error 500[/i][/size][/b]
[url="http://super8arena.com/"][size="1"][color="#0000cc"]super8arena.com[/color][/size][/url]
[size="1"]Fri Jul 15 8:59:55 CEST 2011
Apache/2.0.54 (Debian GNU/Linux) PHP/5.2.3 with Suhosin-Patch DAV/2

[/size]

Should hope their cameras are bettter :)

The 481 is really a nice camera, compact and feature laden. A travel camera with all on board. Really NIZO at its top of quality.

Also designed to be maintenance free. So if you don't drop it or leave it in the rain all should be good.

Comparing to a stock keeping brick and mortar shop in NYC is a bit off. They supply service and garantee, need to pay actual people working there and not to forget the rent/property.

I estimate the working and scratch free 481 should fetch $150-$200. I would sell mine at 200 :)

Edited by Andries Molenaar

• Premium Member

I seem to remember that you bought your first Elmo 1012s-xl from another online store in Germany?

Yes, you are correct. I wouldnt mind taking a look at the site and I might order something again. If it is a serviced camera that is shoot ready then I have no problem with that price.

Usually when people refer to http://super8arena.com/ the site is down. Is this on and off?

[b][size="1"][i]Internal Server Error[/i][/size][/b]
[size="1"][i]   The server encountered an unexpected condition that prevented it from fulfilling the request.  [/i][/size]

[size="1"][i]    Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@super8arena.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.[/i][/size]

[size="1"][i]More information about this error may be available in the server error log.[/i][/size]

[b][size="1"][i]Error 500[/i][/size][/b]
[url="http://super8arena.com/"][size="1"][color="#0000cc"]super8arena.com[/color][/size][/url]
[size="1"]Fri Jul 15 8:59:55 CEST 2011

[/size]

Should hope their cameras are bettter :)

The 481 is really a nice camera, compact and feature laden. A travel camera with all on board. Really NIZO at its top of quality.

Also designed to be maintenance free. So if you don't drop it or leave it in the rain all should be good.

Comparing to a stock keeping brick and mortar shop in NYC is a bit off. They supply service and garantee, need to pay actual people working there and not to forget the rent/property.

I estimate the working and scratch free 481 should fetch $150-$200. I would sell mine at 200 :)

This is the correct web address - http://www.super8arena.com/ and it has never been down! Like I said the cameras have been fully serviced and come with a 90 day warranty!

Yes, you are correct. I wouldnt mind taking a look at the site and I might order something again. If it is a serviced camera that is shoot ready then I have no problem with that price.

Matthew - I have trouble buying a Nizo from anyone else! This guy can hold a Nizo in his hand pull the trigger and he will hear instantly if the motor is running less or more than 18fps. He fully recalibrates and lubricates where necessary. If you buy a camera from him and there is a problem - he will fix it or exchange it - no quibbles. Even after the 90 day warranty he will service your camera for a small charge.

I have bought several Nizos and other cameras from super8arena over the last 4-5 years and have been very very satisfied. Why buy a camera on eBay for a few dollars less when you can buy a serviced and g'teed camera from super8arena for a few dollars more and save on all the headaches and heartaches!

Buy one - you won't be dissapointed.

Jamie

This is the correct web address - http://www.super8arena.com/ and it has never been down! Like I said the cameras have been fully serviced and come with a 90 day warranty!

Sorry to bother but try your own link...

It produces:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an unexpected condition that prevented it from fulfilling the request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@super8arena.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Error 500

www.super8arena.com

Fri Jul 15 9:41:41 CEST 2011

And I have seen that a number of times.

And for some odd reason they prefer not to be cached by google.

We'll have to wait for another day. Or until they are back from the holidays :)

It produces:

Strange - it works perfectly for me! I just clicked on the link and it went direct to the site!

http://www.google.se/#sclient=psy&hl=sv&site=&source=hp&q=super+8+arena&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=133ae920d97910f9&biw=1280&bih=834

A google search for super 8 arena brought up links to the site - I cicked on them all and they all worked!

There must be a problem with your server!

It produces:

It seems to be set up in Germany

Microsoft Windows [versie 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. Alle rechten voorbehouden.

tracert [url="http://www.super8arena.com"]www.super8arena.com

[/url]   2 7 ms    27 ms    27 ms  208.178.246.230
  31 ms    29 ms    30 ms  xe-2-3-0.cr-nashira.cgn4.hosteurope.de [80.237.129.165]
  31 ms    30 ms    30 ms  vwp5837.webpack.hosteurope.de [83.169.31.46]

I don't have a server. I browse with a client and don't do proxy or something.

It comes from their host. I don't need a camera as I already have a number. So good luck with it.

I hope it isn't the guy who tells people to use some petrol on their camera as I read somewhere else and who thinks scratches go with cameras as a show of character.

It seems to be set up in Germany

Microsoft Windows [versie 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. Alle rechten voorbehouden.

tracert [url="http://www.super8arena.com"]www.super8arena.com

[/url]   2 7 ms    27 ms    27 ms  208.178.246.230
  31 ms    29 ms    30 ms  xe-2-3-0.cr-nashira.cgn4.hosteurope.de [80.237.129.165]
  31 ms    30 ms    30 ms  vwp5837.webpack.hosteurope.de [83.169.31.46]

Yes they are based in Lüdenscheid. Never had a problem accessing the website!

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for the reply. If I did live near any Nizo service center I would gladly take it there but alas I currently live north of Houston.

Furthermore, you're right if I do manage to put a cartridge in it I may just want to keep. LOL

Anyway, I'm still trying to sell it.

Jim