Pro8mm SD Tri-X transfer. Experience?

Mark Sperry

Anybody use Pro8mm to do SD transfers of their film? I see that they'll do 6 rolls of tri-x for $284 dollars, seems like a great deal. But in my opinion S8 seems to benefit greatly from HD transfer, because you retain the grain and aesthetic so well, where as SD videos online that i've seen just look like old video.

Is this still true? Or is SD worth a try.

I have no experience with their transfer but near $50 per film is terribly expensive. It is only 3:20 minutes/ 4000 frames on a roll!

Come on man quit holding out? Who will do it cheaper and do a great job? I'm honestly asking.

They are ALL expensive for just one, two or three rolls. Unless you do say, five rolls or more at a time, the cost per roll is just too darned high with Super8.

Lightpress.tv did a knockout job on my super8 project, which consisted of one 100D and ten 500t neg.

• Premium Member

Mark, I went with Debenham Media Group which I liked their work/price ratio. They do Rank transfers of Super 8 from I think $20 for the first roll and it gets cheaper based on how many rolls you transfer. Here is the link to their pricing page:

My linkhttp://www.mymovietransfer.com/8mm_Pricing.html

Quit holding out? What is that supposed to mean? I cannot point out good providers across the world. Certainly not from personal experience.

Try cinelicious from the advertisers list on the right... Neither cheap but when that is not a requirement :)

Convincing enough / S8 page cinelicious

I find $50 teleciné on a film of $10 and processing at $10 rather expensive. Certainly when you check on their (lack of) quality reputation as stated every where by many.

But then, I am not in Hollywood or USA :)

Edited by Andries Molenaar

Andries, Cinelicious' transfer for THE JOURNEY is unreal. It helps that it was shot with loving care and not like a crap home movie. No doubt they can deliver the goods, but like everyone, they are expensive. Super8 costs real good money, period.

That is why it's best to let the rolls of film stack up and when you have a good 6 to 10, you can then get them all transferred. I have about four rolls of home movie stuff sitting, undeveloped, un-transferred for that very reason. It's just too damned expensive.

THE JOURNEY inspired me to buy a Super8 camera (the Nikon R10) and go to work. I've shot three short films with it, the first which screened in London last night at the Rushes Soho Film Festival. On Friday my Super8 short, MISCOMMUNICATIONS, screens in NYC, along with my two DSLR shot short films.

I made a cute little trailer for that event.

http://vimeo.com/26625287

Were I remaining in the USA I would continue to shoot Super8, but we're headed to SE Asia and there simply is no way to purchase or develop super8 over there. :( I know this for a fact. I have spoken with Kodak about it.

PRO8MM has a pretty crappy reputation, even recently, despite their strong denials. They seem to perform wonderfully for their Hollywood clients, but couldn't give too ships about the regular folks. I've spoken with three people who had bad experiences with them last year. Not read their posts. Spoke with them, either in person or on the phone.

That is ultimately why I went with Lightpress.tv and urge people to try them. I almost went with Cinelicious and am certain they are awesome. Their work speaks for itself, as does the positive rep they have here. Spectra is always praised here.

There are choices.

If you have a Mini-DV camcorder or playback deck you can give your 100D or Tri-X film to Duall Camera in NYC and they will do a camcorder capture (properly, not recording off a wall) and give it to you on a Mini-DV tape. It's a good way to do camera tests, but they have a setup fee, so you want to shoot three to five rolls to make it worthwhile.

Quit holding out? What is that supposed to mean?

You said that 50 bucks a roll for stock-process-transfer was ridiculously expensive so I got excited that you had another option. I see now that you do not. :-( Oh well, I'm happy with my options at the moment. People have been super helpful and I'll probably try out every lab suggested.