Relocating Yourself

Rick Cook

Okay guys, so usually my questions here are something like "i have no money, what piece of equipment can I afford that will _____"

Today I come to you searching for wisdom of another kind. Some fatherly advice from the older, more mature members of this community.

I am a young guy, and have nothing holding me down (at this moment, who knows how long I'll have the freedom). I have come to the conclusion that I will not find steady work in my area. I live on the Jersey Shore, and I believe the only thing they shoot here, is sadly... The Jersey Shore... So I am looking into relocating myself.

I was dreaming that someday a director, DoP, or crew would roll through town and pick me up and make me a PA or AC or something. Much like a traveling circus back in the day, but less clowns, and no elephants or anything.

I doubt that will happen, so I'm thinking of taking my savings, and going to New York, or Los Angeles. Maybe finding someone who will let me sleep on a couch for small fee or something like that. My question for everyone who has an answer or opinion is this; Is relocating myself to find work a good plan, or should I find work, take the 3 1/2 hour $40 commute to NY and and slowly try to build relationships and get steady work?

My parents both grew up in the town I live in now, so they have no advice on this subject. So anything you guys have from experience would give me some solid ideas on how to make this leap. Hell, even if you think it's the wrong idea, let me know.

p.s I couldn't decide if this belonged in a student/newbie section, but I figured there may be other young people here in the same situation.

• Premium Member

It depends on if you want a feeling of security while working your way up. I always wanted to balance my dreams with also having a companion and a child so I stay put and slowly work on my dream but the plus side is I have cash(some) to do it and a place to call my own when I come home. Then again, I am giving up some opportunities because I live about 400+ miles from L.A.

I think that because you are single, if you can hang with sleeping on people's couches and doing whatever it takes to scrap by, you should get as close to the scene as you can. This is going to be a rough road though and I have worked with a few people recently that are going to do just that by going to L.A. next year. They have practically nothing but spirit and dedication and I hope they dont get eaten up down there.

Either way you do it, there is going to be pros and cons. One way leads to getting more work and moving up faster while the other involves slower movement but more of a "normal" life. Choose wisely.

• Premium Member

I don't really mind the commute from Phila up to NYC for work when it comes up. It is a pain in the ass, but I save quite a bit of money by not living in NY. 3 and 1/2 hrs is a bit much though... Maybe you should visit both places (i'm assuming you've visited NY before) for a week on a shoot if you can and see if either city strikes your fancy before moving.

Another solid options is New Mexico. I know a lot of people who moved out from Phila to NM and are working rather consistently... though granted not as much more than PAs and Grips.