Which Beaulieu 4008 should i go for?

Chris Alex

Ive been making music videos with Betacam SP and miniDV for years.

Now i want to switch to super8 film.

Im looking for a camera than can be affordable and can give me a professional film look.

I think that Beaulieu 4008 series is the one for me.

But which one should i go for?

Any advise welcomed.

Athens - Greece

Probably the 4008S or 4008Pro

I think you mean 4008ZM2 and ZM4? I prefer the ZM2 because it always comes with better lens. You can get the Schneider 6-66mm and, rarely, it comes with the Angenieux 6-80mm. The latter has the same mechanical specs as the ZM4 including maximum film speed. A great majority of ZM4's comes with Schneider 6-70mm.

Right, the ZM2/4.  But I never used the supplied lenses, honestly, preferring to stick to my 16mm lenses.  (hey, I like-a my Leica)

What type of lenses can i install on the 4008?

Are they easy to find?

Is there any wide angle lens for this baby? What are they called?

Thank you

• 3 years later...

What type of lenses can i install on the 4008?

Are they easy to find?

Is there any wide angle lens for this baby? What are they called?

The 4008 series accept any c-mount lenses, but obviously a lens thats wide for 16mm won't be so wide on s8. You can however use the Century 6mm adapter that fits on the Switar 10mm c-mounts and that works well, my prefered choice. It is a bit more expensive but you get the interchangability between your 16mm and s8 lens set that way.

OR

You can use the Nizo UWL III.

• Premium Member

You can pick up inexpensive CCTV c-mount lenses for these cameras as well. Not always the sharpest, but often very wide. I have a Pentax 6mm lens for my 4008 zm2 and it's fun to use since everything past just a few feet is in focus. Plus it's a very fast lens. Bought it new from B&H for around $100.

Plus there are plenty of C-Mount lenses intended for 16mm cameras (Bolex, Kodak K-100, ect.) in various speeds, widths and quality.

Downside is that it isn't as sharp as the Schneider 6-66mm of course. But having to focus that lens can slow you down considerably.