Wally Pfister Eye Light

Mark Hubit

• Premium Member

After seeing dozens of student posts on eyelights in the past year, I'm wondering where this obsession comes from. It's an eyelight! One of the easiest things to add -- the eye is a natural mirror. Any light near the lens is going to create a reflection. I wouldn't worry about how exactly Wally Pfister does it. All I can say that it is round, so it doesn't look like a Kino usually, but in some cases it could be. Otherwise, it could be an inky or tweenie with diffusion on the barn doors next to the lens - over, under, to one side, it generally depends on what is easiest at the moment.

Thank you for your reply David and Jonas.

I understand that it is 'just an eyelight' - I was only wondering if anyone knew the exact type of light that he used, yes it is round, could be a roscoe litepad, could be a softbox, could be a tweenie -- just opening the discussion to it was all.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

There's an article on the ASC website where the gaffer on the Dark Knight explains:

"For close-up and medium shots of the couple, an Arri LoCaster LED with a 1'x1' soft-box snoot and interchangeable diffusion frames provided eyelight, and 5K tungsten Chimeras provided a soft edge. “We always tried to approach the eyelight from a complimentary angle to the camera,” says Geryak. “If the camera was over someone’s right shoulder, I’d stand over his left shoulder and try to wrap the light from the key side so it looked more natural.”

https://www.theasc.com/ac_magazine/August2012/DarkKnightRises/page1.php