bouncing HMIs through windows

For an upcoming project I'd like to bounce HMI sources and direct the bounced light through one or more windows into kitchens' living rooms and other smallish spaces.

I'm in the UK and won't have the budget for a genny so the most powerful unit I can use is the 2.5 PAR.

I have two questions:

1) Given that bouncing will lose me a lot of light, approximately how many of these units would I need to have to give me enough power? (I'm assuming the day will be overcast and f not I'll use blackout to cut direct sun)

2) What bounce surface will give me the most punch? (Poly/muslin/ultrabounce etc)

Also any rigging advice related to the above would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• Premium Member

Why bounce it? Why not just direct hard light?

Or if you want the softness, put it through some fairly light frames. Bounce is not very efficient, it will really cut into your already small-for-the-task lamps.

Or if you want the softness, put it through some fairly light frames. Bounce is not very efficient, it will really cut into your already small-for-the-task lamps.

Going through diffusion frames is the best way with limited units. You can use more 2.5k units by spreading the load though the various circuits in the house.