Arri 16 S shutter position on stopping camera

Robert Lewis

Is any Arri 16 S owner or user able to advise me whether the shutter stops in the closed position when the camera is stopped, or is the stopping position random - sometimes closed and sometimes open or partly open? I have looked at as much material about the camera as I have found, but there is no mention of this.

• Premium Member

Is any Arri 16 S owner or user able to advise me whether the shutter stops in the closed position when the camera is stopped, or is the stopping position random - sometimes closed and sometimes open or partly open? I have looked at as much material about the camera as I have found, but there is no mention of this.

Random works for me, it's just a DC motor from a very long time ago.........

• Premium Member

It's random. You develop the habit of inching it open when you cut. That was easier on the models I and II, where the inching knob is near your right thumb. They could have given it a hard stop, but that wouldn't be good for the high precision mirror shutter.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member

Yeah, no one ever made a motor for the 16S that stopped the shutter in the closed position. I talked with Clive Tobin about it one time. The main issue is the rubber coupling, which can slip as it wears and stretches, so there really isn't a direct connection from the motor on the 16S to the shutter. All power goes through that rubber coupling. The reason Cinematography Electronics was able to make their crystal sync motor stop always with the shutter in the closed position with the Arriflex IIC is that even though there is a rubber bushing in the motor coupling on that camera, that star shaped bushing doesn't slip.

Best,

-Tim

• 2 weeks later...