konvas 2m mag loading/threading

Nguyen D. Nguyen

• Premium Member

The mags are unpleasant, but not impossible. They're the worst I've ever had to load. But people do learn to do it. The big pitfall is that it's acutally easier to thread the film on the wrong side of the takeup sprocket, so the instant you run the camera, both sprockets are trying to cram film into the gate from opposite directions. This makes a lot of chips, very time consuming to clean out of the body.

-- J.S.

The Konvas mags are more complicated than others, but they save you time when shooting.

I had an important shooting date just after I got my Konvas2M, and I was really scared because I had only two or three 400ft. mags that would require reloading on location.

I triple-checked every step in the dark, and fortunately everything turned out fine.

Since then, loading these things has become very easy, I could do it half asleep.

My advice: Konvas 400ft. mags are cheap compared to other camera systems, so get enough to make sure you don't have to reload them on location and enjoy the luxury of being ready to shoot half a minute after the last mag ran out.

BUT remember the Konvas mags are really part of the camera, not some accessory item. They contain the back of the gate and the pressure plate, so every Konvas mag should be checked when you get it.

This is well designed stuff, but some mags have been lying around for many years, so when you buy a mag, have it cleaned, checked and lubricated. Since I started servicing my mags (and I'm not a camera technician), none of these has let me down, no lost loops, damaged sprockets, bad registration or out-of-focus shots.

I recommend the Konvas system, and don't forget to get some of the 200/160ft. mags, they are just great for hand-held shots in cars or other tight spaces!

I am presently working on a small manual how to service Konva smags, hope to have it ready in about two weeks, I'll post it here for those who want to battle mag problems.

Simply take a roll of film and load it with the cover off in the light. Once you master that, load the mag with the cover off and your eyes closed. "Peek" when you get stuck.

Once you master doing it with your eyes closed, move onto a change bag. When complete check your work by opening the cover.

Do it over and over, and check your work. You should have it in a few hours. Be sure and run each newly loaded mag at 8fps for 5-6 seconds before going to 24fps.

Loading the Konvas mags is now second nature to me and I've never had one jam, ever.

The great thing about the Konvas mags is that once they are loaded they are quick to change. Just pull out the old mag, and slap the new one in, and shoot. Much faster than having to re-load an Arri where you need to set the loop, etc.

I shoot a lot of tough to get wildlife like whales, I can't be messing around with mags when the chase is on, the Konvas is ideal for these situations.

Now there are several "tricks" to loading these mags, and there is a user forum on Topica for this. Keep in mind you can't put a 200ft load on the standard plastic spool into the Konvas 200 ft mag. You can load in a 150ft load on the plastic spool though and it works fine.

I used duct tape to expand the width of the Konvas steel take up spool and then pressed the plastic core over top and made it fit tight. This works perfectly, but don't let the lab keep your cores!

I like the 1M because of the turret lens system. I bought an adapter for it to take the Russian C -Mount then I bought all new lenses, which produce great pictures as they are new lens technology. Plus the 1M I have is one of the newer ones. The body is the same on the new 1Ms and the 2Ms. Most people think the 2M looks more "professional" on set though.

The newer lenses allow me to focus on subjects 4-5 inches from the camera with out any close up lenses. The Konvas lenses on the 1M only get you in about a meter. Not sure about the 2M?

But again shooting wildlife, the quick rotating lenses are great, you can't tell a whale to hold position while you change lenses :D Just "click" to your new lens and roll!

Richard

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jake richards

hello richard,

which lenses are you using?

do you have any clips online to show?

i am interested also in maybe getting a 1m for wildlife/nature shooting.

thanks,

jr

• 2 weeks later...

HI

I have a Konvas M2 with the 18EP crystal motor and the complete crystal speeds control box.

But I have a question. Do you know how is it possible to change the power pack for that unit. I opened it , but it looks like everything has a different voltage. How can I use a simple 12 Volt baterry?

Please you can contact me at bodart@intermind.net

Thanks a lot

Guy

The threading of the magazine seems straight forward enough. What specifically is the difficult part in loading and threading the magazines?

Having to do it for the first time. :blink:

Having to do it very FAST. :o

But seriously: You may have film stock (old stock with a "curl" or special films on Polyester base) that will not go easy into the loop forming sprockets before/after the film gate. As with every complicated mag, you have to be patient and get a feeling for it.

Most important (can't repeat it too much :rolleyes: ) is having properly serviced mags that you can trust. Then there will be no lost loops, scratched film or whatever. I trust these mags, and the only times they gave me trouble, it was my own fault. As HAL 9000 said; "It can all be attributed to human error."

• 2 weeks later...

"Plus, I've seen the results of the Konvas, and while it's no Mitchell, it does perform well. "

I've shot tons of film with my 1M and the results have in my opinion been quite excellent. The colourists at Deluxe are always blown away when I tell them I'm using a $700.00 camera. And my shots look as good as the previous clients shots and he used a 1 million dollar Panavision

:D Hey 5245 is 5245 whether it goes though a Panavision or 1M.

A lot of my work is done in remote hostile areas of the earth, so taking along an Arri or Panavision is quite a risk. Those cameras just can't take the punishment a 1M can. I dropped one of my 1Ms onto a concrete floor this year, picked it up and it still ran perfectly. I don't know if a Panavision can take that kind of punishment.

It's interesting to see the very latest Panavision cameras looking a lot like the 1M and 2M now in terms of size. All of the steady cam work that is being done requires a much smaller light weight camera. The 1M is also ideal for hand held work.

Will they use the 1M and 2M to shoot er and the Westwing? Ah, no.

But for MOS shoots they punch well above their weight and price tag.

Richard