Looking for diffusion material with nickname "Shower Curtain"

David Calson

It looks like shower curtain, but it's supposed to be official professional stuff that costs in the $90 starting range. All I know is people have nicknamed it shower curtain and I can't find it on bh under that name. Anyone know of the official title?

Thanks

soft frost or half soft frost is commonly referred to as shower curtain because if you go down to the dollar store and buy a shower curtain it is the same stuff. Hi lite is also sometimes called shower curtain.

PS lookup expendables recycler on the interweb and save some dough.

People refer to soft frost, half soft frost, and hilite all as shower curtain. Rosco Hilite is the lightest, half soft frost is a little heavier, and soft frost is a significant jump heavier. In my experience, half soft frost is the most efficient of diffusions, giving you the best softening-vs.lightloss ratio of any diff. (Silk and tough spun are the worst) That's why I use half soft on my inflatable softboxes.

A shower curtain from the dollar store is not really the same stuff, but you can find a chinese-made copy of half soft for industrial applications should you need a large volume. 125$ a roll does seem a bit much for a roll of etched plastic sheeting, doesn't it? If you have zero budget, the dollar store item might be worth examining though.

yours

Tom Guiney

Gaffer & DP

Airboxlights.com

inflatable softboxes for Litepanels

• 1 month later...

Soft frost or Hilight.

If you are strapped for cash buy a regular shower curtain.

Thats what was used before guys like the Rag Place et al put a name to it and started charging big bucks.

ALL the rental houses in India use real shower curtains. They go to the manufacturer and get them made up in the sizes needed and have the grommets installed.

Find the right quality.

Works great.