Which tape?

Brad DeCecco

Hi,

Does anyone have advice on what the best quality tapes are? I realize they're probably all made in the same factory in China and just decorated differently, but i just got my dvx and, of course, i want it to come as close to the "film look" as possible and don't mind spending an extra $2 per hour if those tapes are more expensive... Below is the Panasonic tape line's part #'s:

AY-DVM60EL vs. AY-DVM60XJ vs. AY-DVM60EJ (from most expensive to cheapest)

Should I just use Panasonic for the sake of thinking maybe they tested them to be optimized? Also: any thoughts on 60 minutes versus longer tapes (Are the longer tapes thinner and thus more prone to breaking?)

Any thoughts apprecciated!

Thanks!

-Brad

>>i want it to come as close to the "film look" as possible and don't mind spending

>>an extra $2 per hour if those tapes are more expensive

The tapes act as nothing more than a means of storage and, unlike analogue systems where more expensive tapes can deliver slightly better color and sharpness, will not affect image quality.

More expensive MiniDV tapes are usually the ones that promise fewer dropouts (which I would actually blame more on the VTR heads than anything else), have some special space-age coatings, will stand up to repeated rewinds/playbacks/recordings, and have some sort of microchip built in. If you think you'll need it, feel free, but above all else I would make sure the camera heads are clean.

The only real advice I can offer is to try to use the same brand (and "model," if possible) of tape throughout the production (beginning with a head cleaner, of course) so as to avoid any potential problems with different manufacturers' lubricants mixing and gunking up the heads.

Hope this helps,

The ntegrated [C]ircuit chip stores additional data about what's recorded on tape, such as the aperture and shutter speed used while filming. The camera, though, must have the capability to simply make use of the IC chip, or else you'll just be paying extra money for a feature that will not be used.

this question is like "which gas is best.. regular or premium".. you will get varying answers and degrees of opinion, so in the end you probaly never get your question answered...

BUT... my choice of tape for the 100a is the MQ 63 minute tapes. i have yet to get a dropout on them but im sure i will ... dropouts will happen.. just as CDs/dvds have errors in them...

keep your heads clean and the tape path.. keep the door closed on the machine. store your tapes in the case until needed at that point.

i would also recommend manual cleaning of the tape path with denatured alcohol.. NOT rubbing alcohol... instead of using the abrasive tape cleaners.

also, stick with one particular tape stock.. dont switch from wet and dry stocks for example. if you must do that, please clean the tape path and heads prior to using the different brand...

ooh yeah, do not use anything longer than 63 minutes.. for one thing pana recommends NOT to do this and also as you said, the stock is thinner and prone to jamming up....

Edited by Marc_Abernathy

• Premium Member

Hi,

> i have yet to get a dropout on them but im sure i wil

Actually you have, you just didn't notice them. Going by the way the system is engineered, DV should drop out considerably more than Beta SP - which drops out a lot - but the correction is so good that it's nearly invisible.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

right on phil,

all digital media has errors in it. and its up to the error correction circuitry to correct them before the naked eye can catch it (or ear).

my meaning is ive yet to "SEE" and un correctible error yet but im sure i will...

anything man made will break down...

The more you spend on a deck, the better EC you get. (Generally) We've got a set of DSR-80s in our Studio, just PHENOMONAL pieces of hardware. We had a pretty bad infection of that mixed-tape stock problem, and it got to the point where they were the only things that would read the tapes off our 150 (got the most use).