Push processing

Hi,

im shooting a music video at the moment which is entirely lit with fluorescent lights, the stock is vision 2 500t 16mm, since i am only using available light, the overall exposure on location is between 2-2.8, my zeiss zoom lens however doesnt go lower than 3, so i shoot everything at 3 and decided to push it by one stop in the lab.

can anyone give me an estimation of how it is going to look like colour and saturation wise ?

thanks.

• Premium Member
Hi,

im shooting a music video at the moment which is entirely lit with fluorescent lights, the stock is vision 2 500t 16mm, since i am only using available light, the overall exposure on location is between 2-2.8, my zeiss zoom lens however doesnt go lower than 3, so i shoot everything at 3 and decided to push it by one stop in the lab.

can anyone give me an estimation of how it is going to look like colour and saturation wise ?

thanks.

Because you are shooting with a tungsten balance film under fluorescent light, underexposure will likely make the "green" of the flouros more difficult to control, since the red shadow information in the scene is likely being placed on the "toe" of the negative film. But the underexposrue latitude of 7218 is quite amazing, so even without a push process, one stop under may work out okay.

im not so worried about the green cast, since we are after that greenish fluorescent look anyway. but ive heard that when pusing underexposed stock, the colors get very saturated and the shadows go very dark ? which would be the look were after.

• Premium Member

A push-1 ECN-2 process will raise the contrast and increase graininess. Although the shadows won't be as "rich" as with a normal exposure, they should hold up okay at 1-under, push-1. Sounds like it will fit the look you want.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest KyleRepka

I'm a student, and I haven't had the chance to test a scene by pushing, pulling and normally exposing/processing it. I know it would be really helpful for me and all the other students/amatuers here to see the effects side by side. Does anyone have stills or screen captures they can post side by side to show the differences between these types of manipulations?

I've done some searches in the archives but haven't found many images.

Thanks.

• Premium Member
I'm a student, and I haven't had the chance to test a scene by pushing, pulling and normally exposing/processing it.  I know it would be really helpful for me and all the other students/amatuers here to see the effects side by side.  Does anyone have stills or screen captures they can post side by side to show the differences between these types of manipulations? 

I've done some searches in the archives but haven't found many images.

Thanks.

Many labs have demos showing the processing/printing "looks" they offer, and your Kodak sales office has demos on hand too.

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/about/ww...d=0.1.4.5&lc=en

Articles in American Cinematographer and other trade mags often tell the techniques used, so there are hundreds of films in distribution that can serve to illustrate certain "looks".

the increased grain worries me a bit since im shooting 500 already

Unfortunately there's no free lunch.

If you are short of light and you have a slowish lens, you have to face up to using a grainier stock.

Your shadows will be underexposed whether you push process or not. (You don't really get a stop of speed increase simply by overdeveloping, a simple understanding of photography will tell you that). So shadow information will be gone. Push processing will make those shadows a little blacker, that's all. Having deep blacks will help a little in reducing apparent graininess. I would expect colours to be darker but certainly not more saturated than with a correct exposure and process.