35mm Lab fee

Paul Bartok

Hi I love film but I've never worked on it beyond super 8, so next year I'm thinking about shooting a short film on 35mm specifically super 35mm before film really dies off. Ive noticed abit of a fire sale going on with film atm.

Anyways I'm just wondering how much Lab fee would be for around 2000ft and does the fact its super 35mm make a difference,

also i got a quote for around $3000 for a 4k scan do you guys thinks that's a bit expensive for 2000ft and if your wondering why I need 4k, if its the last time I work with film i would like to get the most out of it other wise why really bother.

I love film but lets face it, its dead and the RED camera's are amazing, almost equal.

• Premium Member
I'm just wondering how much Lab fee would be for around 2000ft

Ask the lab.

and does the fact its super 35mm make a difference,

Not usually, but mention it.

also i got a quote for around $3000 for a 4k scan do you guys thinks that's a bit expensive for 2000ft

How's it being done - on a slow film scanner like a Northlight, or on a realtime device like a Spirit? Is it supervised or a one-light? How is the material being handled and presented to you?

Does sound a bit spendy in any case but without knowing the details it's hard to say.

P

[/size]

Ask the lab.

Not usually, but mention it.

How's it being done - on a slow film scanner like a Northlight, or on a realtime device like a Spirit? Is it supervised or a one-light? How is the material being handled and presented to you?

Does sound a bit spendy in any case but without knowing the details it's hard to say.

P

thanks for the info, any labs anyone can recommend,

It thinks its a Spirit, its just a one-light to DPX files

• Premium Member

You're making a lot of blanket statements that I can only guess are meant to be red meat for this crowd.

Good thing to try film before "it dies". I think you may find your assumptions about how great a RED is may be re-thought after you shoot 35mm and have a good colorist work on it.

While 4k seems to be the rage for RED users, there's little reason to go over 2k unless you plan on re-framing, zooming or something special in post. 4K will MASSIVELY slow you down. If you decide to release your project for IMAX you can always go back and re-scan at 4k. Theatrical releases are more often than not made from 2k or HD masters, not 4k.

Just shoot it right from the beginning; something that cinematographers learned the hard way.

2000' for processing should be about $400 or less.

Transfer to HD should be no more than $750. 2K maybe $1000. Both with good colorists from a decent transfer house. Chances are you can beat those prices with a little negotiation.