Mitchell vs 150MM Ball???

dean tsolakis

G'day People,

Forgive my ignorance in this topic, don't know much about Camera support in general, hence my previous thread

Was considering a Cartoni head with Mitchell compatibility, I myself reside in Australia where i think 150mm ball is predominate as in Europe i suspect,

My RED one personal kit will never really succeed 45 lbs, so 150mm ball makes sense to me, and it seems easier to find legs for Mid Level Spreaders than

with Mitchell flat mounts, i Hate ground Spreaders!!!! only because of location shooting and versatility

I would like to hear your views about this subject, sorry if this topic has been posted previously

Regards,

Dean

• Premium Member

The Mitchell base locks in with a key, so it's very secure, but you need to level the head using the tripod legs.

A ball lets you easily set the level, but it can slip if the head is on high tension. The lock-off threads for the head needs to be clean and not worn down to a saw-tooth profile, otherwise it binds before properly tightening. A dry lubricant like G-N paste on the lock-off threads and sliding surface between the handle and cup also helps to get a secure lock.