WHERE WOULD YOU GO?

jon w

ok, this is totally off topic, but could be an interesting discussion.

i won a prize at a staff christmas party, 2 first class tickets plus accomodation for 14 days. yay!

i want to go somewhere visually amazing, somewhere that i normaly wouldnt end up going. been to parts of europ (germany, france, switzerland, amsterdam), australia, japan, central america.

i dont want to shop, or lay on a beach, i want to be inspired, or slapped in the face with culture shock (needs to be somewhat safe because im bringing my 3 year old daughter).

i plan on bringing a bolex with an intervalometer, and just shooting "stuff", kinda a "mytripaquatsi".

where would your guys go? or where have you been that blew you away???

I seriously recomend you check out Israel. The most incredible landscape Terry Malick could only dream about. :) I know there are issues of safety, but if you stick with a tour group you will have no problems. Other amazing places to check out are Greece, Mexico, The Carribean, and Mongolia.

Have fun!

Check out Iceland.

Why George Lucas didn't go there to shoot the new Star Wars series I can not understand...

It's like being on a different planet.

Not so much of a culture shock, but a beauty shock.

If you want a culture shock go to Pakistan...

Enjoy

Marcel

• Premium Member

I agree with David Sloan's comment about the Middle East. Israel and Jordan are extraordinary places geographically, historically and culturally. I imagine that the same is true of Lebanon. The reality about Israel is that the violence is real and that it is random. You have to be willing to accept that. As for Jordan, I consider it to be completely safe. It is easy to see both countries in two weeks. Personally, I would not join a tour group, but that is a matter of personal preference. The problem is that it will be hard to see some of the more important sites with a three year old. For example, if you go to Jordan, you really should see the Roman city of Jerash north of Amman, Petra (the city carved from stone, which takes four or five days to see if you want to see all of it) and Wadi Rum (the dessert in the south where the Arab Revolt started, where the rock formation known as the Seven Pillars of Wisdom is located and where the film Lawrence of Arabia was shot). These places involve a lot of walking and, in the case of Petra, somewhat strenuous hiking. They are not child-friendly.

I would seriously consider New Zealand. It is completely different from Australia and there is no more beautiful place on earth, especially the South Island. Great people, wonderful vineyards and amazing geography. It's like a cross between Switzerland and the Caribbean.

I wish I could comment on South Africa, but I haven't managed to get there yet. It is, however, high on my list of places to see.

Newfoundland, the easternmost provice of Canada. It is harsh and beautiful, and perfectly safe for a 3 year old. (Just hold on to her on the cliffs.) Go in last week of June, first week of July, so you can see icebergs and whales (at the same time), millions of sea birds, caribou, etc ... The food is pretty bad, but the people are wonderful. It's a great place to bring a bolex, though it is prone to a lot of fog. Also, I had a tough time photographing there because it's hard to decide where to point the camera, and taking the time to really shoot something means you have to stop exploring ... It's definitely a different kind of place. I think a little like Iceland, in that "Nature" is the unmentioned elephant in the room. Go in third week of August and people will already have huge stacks of wood piled around their houses in preperation for the winter ahead. Anyway, enjoy wherever you go ...

Come to Brazil!

You have beaches, very nice landscapes, nature and culture shock for sure... very poor people and favelas right in the middle of the mid class city.

And you have a wonderful light all the way. You can go to the Amazone or Iguaçu Waterfalls... Big country with diferent and exciting places to visit.

Don't forget the women!!!

Well I've also been to Lebanon, nice country... lots of ruins and mixing of ocidental and oriental culture. There is also echoes of the war.

Greece is certainly a good suggestion, with all those beautiful cultural artifacts everywhere, and the islands. A country like Romania is also unusual and interesting, a cross between western and eastern Europe (and also not very expensive). Check out some pics on the web.

- G.