Godzilla coming in 2014

• Premium Member

I* already posted this clip in the Visual Effects section, so many apologies, but the big guy is due to make a return in 2014, and hopefully with revamped SFX, including an all CGI Gojira (Godzilla).

Here's a taste from another film that uses the future Godzilla in a fantasy sequence for a drama about 1960's downtown Japan;

• Premium Member

I should have posted this thread in the "In Production" area. Sorry about that.

With the exception of the first film, Godzilla's nearly always been a children's franchise, which makes for hokey but interesting entertainment. It'll be interesting to see what Legendary does to update the monster for a slightly older audience, or if they're going to update the monster's look and still keep it strictly a kiddie affair.

I think this new version of the monster has real potential to open the fan base not just in Japan and the US, but world wide. Bringing a real monster look to the thing could be a shot in the arm for the franchise, and heck, if they shoot anything here, then it may mean a job.

• Premium Member

Do your research! Godzilla was only for children from 66 to 74. 9 films out of 27. The rest are either serious or action drive in movie oriented or for servicing fan boys of science fiction. :rolleyes:

Really? Wow, I truly did not know that. I mean even as a kid they looked fake to me, but it was still fun entertainment in my book. I mean, I've seen some of the newer Godzilla flicks, and they still look hokey, but are still entertaining. :)

Really? Wow, I truly did not know that. I mean even as a kid they looked fake to me, but it was still fun entertainment in my book. I mean, I've seen some of the newer Godzilla flicks, and they still look hokey, but are still entertaining. :)

Hokey, not cutesy. Oh well, my kid loves all of them- I'm just kiddin' around.

• Premium Member

Hokey, not cutesy. Oh well, my kid loves all of them- I'm just kiddin' around.

I've often wondered why other than the more recent "Cloverfield" someone didn't try to make a serious effort to make a scary or compelling monster film, other than the original "Godzilla" back in 1954.

As fake as it was and looked even to me when I was at an impressionable age, it was still the idea of this cool looking thing stomping around and tearing down buildings that put a grin on many a boy's face.

But the original film was a smash hit in Japan because the terror of the atomic bombs was still fresh in Japanese minds. The monster represented that event, and looked semi-realistic by virtue of the fact that, other than "King Kong" or "The Lost World" (silent version), no one had put a man in a rubber suit and filmed him stomping around a miniature city and put it on the big screen.

It just strikes me that with all of the newer SFX technology, specifically CGI, that a reinvented Godzilla could be a real crowd pleaser if ratched up a couple of notches. Give the monster a bit of realism. People will know it's fake, but then they know all of sci-fi is fake, so there's no reason not to create a film with the kind of artistry that was put into the clip I posted.

I think that kind of film will really rock :)

p.s. Evan, as a gaffer, how would you light Godzilla? ;)

LOL, never thought I'd be asked that. Really no clue, but I do love the way Kazuki Ohmori, who directed Biollante and Khing Ghidorah does the lighting and the shots. It really sells the scale of the thing with use of spot lights and faked night time photography. Frankly, most Godzilla films have flat lighting and nothing inspired apart from special effect shots with fire or whatnot. The original had high contrast lighting with reflections off the water and it really sticks out as beautiful.

If I did a Godzilla film, I would make it like Alien. Have horror elements were you don't actually see Godzilla clearly, but villagers and what not suffer from his epic natural disaster romping around. Not everyone's cup of tea, but think of some of the isolated shots from the original and 1984 remake, they are very horror movie. CGI romps aren't my cup of tea. The only X series Godzilla films that stick out are All Monsters Attack because of the night time photography and Megaguirus for the good effects. Bla bla bla, just worth checking out with a big tv and surround sound. B)

• Premium Member

LOL, never thought I'd be asked that. Really no clue, but I do love the way Kazuki Ohmori, who directed Biollante and Khing Ghidorah does the lighting and the shots. It really sells the scale of the thing with use of spot lights and faked night time photography. Frankly, most Godzilla films have flat lighting and nothing inspired apart from special effect shots with fire or whatnot. The original had high contrast lighting with reflections off the water and it really sticks out as beautiful.

If I did a Godzilla film, I would make it like Alien. Have horror elements were you don't actually see Godzilla clearly, but villagers and what not suffer from his epic natural disaster romping around. Not everyone's cup of tea, but think of some of the isolated shots from the original and 1984 remake, they are very horror movie. CGI romps aren't my cup of tea. The only X series Godzilla films that stick out are All Monsters Attack because of the night time photography and Megaguirus for the good effects. Bla bla bla, just worth checking out with a big tv and surround sound. B)

I've always wondered why more miniatures aren't shot outdoors in daylight, myself. It would be interesting to see a Godzilla horror like film. I saw Godzilla 1984 in the theatre, and, aside from the fact that the theatre was packed with drunks heckling the film, the creature was very well lit, and had an ominous look to him.