JVC's return to HDV dominance

Guest Robert Shuster

Guest Robert Shuster

In a private meeting at JVC's west coast offices in Cypress, California, JVC today showed select AVR dealers the new GY-HD100U 3CCD detatchable lens HDV camcorder. Many other pro features place it firmly in 1st place exceeding dealers expectations and making the 2 new Sony's pale by comparison. Expected list is sub $10K, shipping in June. Take a look at www.hollywoodstudiorentals.com's bulletin board for additional. They were at the JVC special show and have actually touched it with there own hands. Talk about 1st person reporting!

• Premium Member

Just an FYI: The following press release was briefly posted on the WEVA.com website 3/16/05, but later "pulled". Seems authentic to me, but like everything on the internet, "your mileage may vary."

All the best,

- Peter DeCrescenzo

======================================

JVC Professional Intros 24P Pro HD Camcorder

March 16, 2005

Wayne, NJ - JVC released more details about its new products and plans for NAB, including a new professional, high definition camcorder with true 24p capture and recording.

The GY-HD100U is a full resolution ProHD progressive camcorder, utilizing three newly developed 1/3-inch CCD image sensors, each one featuring an array of 1280x720 pixels (approximately 1 mega pixel), with micro lenses.

Eliminating the need for image scaling, its native resolution matches that of most HDTV displays, the manufacturer reports. In addition, the GY-HD100U provides real time playback in all major DTV formats, allowing easy conversion of recorded data to other formats without compromising the level of quality.

The GY-HD100U is ideal for documentary and news programs, as well as electronic cinematography. The camcorder enables recordings to be transferred to 16mm or 35mm film with full HD fidelity, without frame rate conversion. Utilizing a user selectable motion filter, this system is designed especially to provide smooth motion similar to that seen in motion pictures. The GY-HD100U is also designed to deliver spectacular quality SD recordings for those professionals not quite ready to fully transition to HD.

The camera includes a standard detachable 16x Servo Fujinon lens. Other available options include a 13x (3.5mm) wide zoom lens, a wide angle converter for the standard 16x lens, and an adapter allowing standard 1/2-inch lenses to be used on the camera. A patented ?focus assist? function exaggerates the detail in the viewfinder to facilitate focusing in high definition.

A variety of features on this camera make the recording, editing and archiving process simple. It has a built-in ProHD recording system that records full high definition images on inexpensive MiniDV cassettes. Data is recorded in the MPEG-2 format with full broadcast resolution and quality. In addition, the GY-HD100U can connect directly to an external hard disc recording module, allowing footage to be edited immediately thus eliminating time consuming transfers.

The GY-HD100U has two XLR audio inputs and records CD quality digital audio; with independent controls for each channel. The camcorder also features a variety of customizable settings that can be stored on a standard SD memory card, and loaded onto another GY-HD100U, if necessary.

In addition to providing superior quality HD recording in the 24p format, the GY-HD100U can output an uncompressed 720/P60 HD signal. This is ideal for live broadcasting, remote news and POV applications. A third party HDSDI converter can provide the full resolution uncompressed signal to an array of systems with no signal delay.

Similar to common shoulder style cameras, the GY-HD100U?s camera and viewfinder controls are located on the left side of the unit. A specially designed Fujinon HD lens provides automatic or manual iris control, with smooth servo zoom and backfocus adjustment. A convenient IEEE1394 bus interface allows for simple, quick connection to D-VHS or a PC for easy downloading, and editing or archiving.

Accessories for the GY-HD100U include shotgun microphone, Anton-Bauer Power system, Quick-Release tripod mounting plate, and DTE disc recording module.

For more information, visit

www.pro.jvc.com

====================================

They were at the JVC special show and have actually touched it with there own hands. Talk about 1st person reporting!

Touched it with their own hands ? Now THAT'S a professional assesment of a camera's capabilities...................

Were they grounded at the time ? :D

-Sam

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
But is this still recording at 25 mbs?

To the best of my knowledge, according to information released by JVC the GY-HD100 records into a "HDV" (MPEG2) data stream at 19 megabits/sec.

There's more info about & pix of this cam at:

http://www.dvuser.co.uk/Main%20pages/what&...s/GY-HD100.html

http://www.hdvinfo.net/articles/jvcprohd/hd100teaser.php

... and eventually on JVC's website:

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/main.jsp

All the best,

- Peter DeCrescenzo

Guest Robert Shuster

Touched it, smelled it, tasted it. Sure the other AVR's looked at us a bit funny when I put the HD100 up to my nose but oooh, just like a morning in Tokyo. The reason I licked the camera was to determine if it was a magnesium or plastic. The two are difficult to tell apart with the coating systems these days. It's Magnesium. Is that weird? Newest info I have ia a June 1 ship date. When I receive my 2 units I will be able to even hug it. This time in private.