Methods for running restored JPG movie frames as a movie?

Charles Watkins

Greetings. This is likely an all too familiar question, but I've spent many months recovering images from a severely decomposed 16mm film that basically turned into a bed of acid crystals. It was in the worst stage of vinegar syndrome and was originally believed to be well beyond conservational effort. I have painstakingly extracted and scanned carefully removed sections for months I have cropping the individual still frames in PS and have retaining them in consecutive order. They have also been cleaned up and restored digitally but now I need to work on animating the footage. I'm reasonably sure it's 18fps footage. I have Sony Vegas 7 should this mean anything. I scanned the film using an Epson 4990 at (24bit ) 2400 ppi which gives me a lot of room for resampling if this also helps any with info. Any input will be greatly appreciated. The film is a one of a kind and has unseen footage of Hiroshima, Japan in 1938. I expect much of the footage will likely meet acceptance by an archives of national level. Thanks for your time in reading and input that you may provide. Charles

Edited by Charles Watkins

• Premium Member

If your'e trying to turn the files into a movie, an easy way to do this is a "batch list" in MPEG Streamclip (a free program)

What you do is open it; and go to List-->Bath List

Add in all the files you want, sequentially, and choose "export as quicktime movie" also selecting "join files and "fix time code breaks" as well as not to skip any frame. Choose the codec you want to save it as and the location. and hit go. It should spit out a movie file you can then work with. I just tried it on my mac with sequential .tiffs and it gave me a nice AvidDV .mov

If you want to to e mail you screen captures of the process, just get me an e mail address and a few min to compose 'em.

This is such a huge help Adrian! I'm so often a visual learner and you just don't know how thankful I am. I kept wondering if I would ever see some finality with this and you have helped me to go forward! It may take me a while to get fully familiar but I will definitely share my progress and send you clip samples for your feedback.

Edited by Charles Watkins

• Premium Member

It's my pleasure. I wish you the best of luck with it, and keep the whole forum updated.

I should warn, I think it's going to create a 24P clip in the end, but you should have no problem adjusting that to 18fps in Vega ect once you get it made.

Also; feel free to share the images ect with whomever might need them.

I'm fairly certain you can accomplish this with QUICKTIME. Go to FILE then OPEN IMAGE SEQUENCE. Make sure all of your frames are in the same folder in sequential order first. Then you click on the first image in the folder. At some point it will ask you about frame rate then it will go about assembling the sequence into a movie. Just like that!

Good luck!