85 Filter vs Correction in Transfer

I apologize if this has been covered, which I'm sure it has, but I'm planning on working on a short film soon with some daylight exteriors. Since most of the film is night interiors, we're shooting all tungsten film. My question is, is there an advantage in proper color rendition for using an 85 filter in the day exteriors, or can this be properly corrected in the HD transfer with no filter? Thank you in advance.

• Premium Member

Not using the filter does use up some of the latitude in that the Blue record will have a higher exposure than it otherwise would.

Shooting with the filter also means that both the day shots and the interior shots will need similar colour corrections. This is not as big a deal as it used to be where the printer lights had to make big changes when such a scene change would occur.

All in all it is easier to use the filter.

• Premium Member

I always recommend using the filter. I mean, let's face it, you're already getting a lot of light and will be needing to ND any Tungsten stock when shooting outside anyway; so you might as well thrown in a combo ND85 filter just to get it balanced.

Personally, I use an 81EFN.3 as a base for exposing tungsten film in daylight as it is a 1/2 correction so we can "change our mind," in post more easily, but throwing an 85 filter (or combo 85ND) when outside on tungsten film is like taking your umbrella if there's a chance of rain-- yes you might not need it, but you might as well bring it just in case.