hypothetical situation

Jason Mann

Let's say I shoot a project on 16mm and want to edit on my Final Cut Pro 4 system, but want to preserve the option to finish either back on film or on high resolution video.

I have two basic questions. First, can I simply have a mini-DV transfer made with a window burn and then output an EDL for negative cutting? I've heard that miniDV timecode isn't "real" while DVCAM timecode is...

Second, should I have a higher resolution transfer done first (maybe DigiBeta or HD, though I don't know the costs of either) and then dub down to miniDV to edit? Would that lead to Keycode/timecode confusion?

I know Cinema Tools is supposed to help me with this, but frankly I don't understand how.

Sorry if this is a bunch of silly questions, but I'm very excited about a project I have coming up and don't want to screw it all up.

Thanks!

You can have proper timecode put onto a miniDV tape. Talk to a lab and videotransfer house to make sure they do this properly, but it is something done on a regular basis so it's no big deal. They will use correct timecode aligned to a holepunch on the film so that the matchback to film works properly. There are various rules for not reusing shots and leaving room for cuts, and these are built in on some of the better EDL generators, such an option is available in Cinema Tools. As suggested, check on 2-pop or other forums for more specific details.

HD telecine and/or posting will add considerably to your costs and doesn't seem necessary for your scale of production. Transferring your material to DigiBeta and then dubbing to MiniDV will give you a much higher quality master that will allow for greater video color correction later. It will not add dramatically to your cost.