ISO RED and ALEXA

F Bulgarelli

Hello all

I have a question regarding ISO on these cameras, generally speaking manufacturers recommend to rate these sensors at 800, during daylight situation I've come down to 500, mainly to give myself a little room so I can minimize (a little) the amount of ND used.

In terms of latitude, 800 seems to be the sweet spot. I just read an article on Arri news where the DP was rating the Alexa at 200 ISO, these are heavy day exterior scenes. I'm curious as to what pros and cons you could encounter changing the native ISO so drastically.

Mainly, In terms of holding the highlights when shooting exteriors or even noise increase at super high ISO like 1600

Most articles I've read mention the Alexa or Epic being rated at 800ISO

Thanks

Francisco

• Premium Member

I'll go down to 500 ASA on either camera in sunlight, even 400 ASA would be fine, you just have to watch your bright highlights more (just as, conversely, at over 1000 ASA you have to start watching your shadow detail).

200 ASA is pushing the limits though - I think the extended highlight protection of these cameras is what makes the image film-like -- when you starting getting clippy highlights and zero noise, the whole thing feels more electronic.

Thanks David.

Good point you are bringing up, I'm color correcting a small feature right now, we shot with the Epic and sometimes I wish we had a little film grain there, I asked the colorist to add some just to check it out and did not like it, I think our eyes are getting use to the sharpness of digital. I do feel like, shallow depth of field is still the most filmic characteristic I want to keep aiming for ;)