When to compose a soundtrack to a film?

Beer Kamil

Hello,

I have been thinking when it's the ideal time to tell your composer to start making music for the film. In our last film we had sent the rough cut to the composer to make some music for it, but that didn't end well and it seems like it's too late by that time. So, when it's the best time?

KB

Any time I've done this, we've given the picture locked film on a file and he composed the music using the timings. We had previews and discussions on the music as he worked on it, then he did the final timed pieces and we dropped the music tracks in.

I guess it depends on how good your composer is, but ours fitted perfectly.

Thanks for your reply. What do you mean by "picture locked film" and using the timings? I am sorry but I'm not fluent in english filmmaking jargon. :(

It means that there won't be any more editing changes to the pictures. The director and funders have agreed that the pictures are locked, so that any sound effect tracks or music that requires timings from this finalised edit can use it without worrying that there will be further changes.

Ok, thanks. What do you do if you have a music montage in the film, ex. the the cuts need to be made to the speed/pace of the music?

You can either have the composer have the music available to you in advance or you could cut to a temp music track and have the composer times their music to the final cut.

Perhaps in this case it might be easier to do it advance. It really depends on your composer, it has been done both ways, I guess it depends on the nature of the music and the montage.