HMI's on skintones

• Premium Member

I tend to add 1/8 CTO on all my HMIs (on top of whatever other corrections are needed to make all the HMIs look the same). You'd need a color meter, but you may do well with a little minus green now and again; depending on the light.

I agree with you too, btw, I never liked HMIs or Kinos/Floros on skin-tones; hence why I try to stay all tungsten unless there's a specific need for the aforementioned (day exts, or matching the look/feel of an office ect.)

• Premium Member

From what I've seen of LEDs, there is a long way to go before they look "right," to my eye. This includes the Arris. It has also been discussed before. I believe the user Guy Holt has posted up some very nice comparison tests of LED fixtures, if you care to do a search.

Yeah I read that Guy Holt post, which is on all the major forums. But to me that seemed more like a lot of sales talk / paper talk, rather than actual battlefield tests / comparison tests.

However in the meantime I learned that even though the De Sistis were announced last year, apparently the pricepoint is not out till after NAB this year O_o

In regards to LEDs... since you can control the L7 in detail, wouldn't that solve the spike problem that most LED suffer from? From what I read it sounded like ARRI had a nice color rendition in those lamps. And who wouldn't want key lights that consume very little wattage :D

• Premium Member

Probably not. You'll always get a spike because you're dealing with a discontinuous source- no matter what. Now, whether it'll be overall perceptible, or horrible is another issue entirely. But, for me, LEDs just don't look right and still spike,and I'd be you, even the new L7 will show some issue on a color meter.

As for guy, yeah, it comes off as weird, but he's a smart guy and the information on his posts is available elsewhere. I believe there was a special on the LEDs in American Cinematographer at some point last year. someone else may know better, though.

Art Adams posted an interesting LED comparison. Basically he set the white balance to tungsten and shot a variety of LEDs and one KinoFlo with the same whitebalance. This illustrates the color difference you can expect if you're planning to use these units in a tungsten dominant environment.

Here's the comparison. To my eye it looks like the MoleLED is the clear winner.

Here's the article.