Camera Through Window

Guest Mike Frymus

Guest Mike Frymus

I am working on a project and its the most complex thing I have done so far.

There are just a few troubles with the first opening shot of the film.

In the beginning, it starts off with a stormy night.

The camera looks out into the neighbourhood as the houses are lit up by the lightning (3).

With a single continuous take, the camera dolly's back and through a window (1). The rain runs down the window and now we are inside the house. (2)

The camera then jibs down and tilts down a bit to reveal something shocking on the ground underneath the window.

He then cut away to the guy sitting on the couch in front of the window being illuminated by the lamp and the lighting (3).

(1) I have never done a shot where the camera dolly's back through a window. I have two options for doing this shot. A) have the camera facing the houses across the street. Camera dolly's back and goes through a window and is now inside the house.

2 problems:

1) The house itself is never established.

2) I cant think of a very interesting shot of the other houses in the neighbourhood. I want to show its a storm and its in a neighbourhood, but the shot doesn't seem that interesting.

B) The camera is facing the house. Instead of dollying back, the camera will dolly forward now. The technocrane is now outside. It pushes in and goes through the window. But... then I can jib down and reveal the mystery of what's underneath the window. Id rather have the reveal first, before revealing the gun on the ground. Seems smoother too.

(2)The only possible way I see the dolly through window shot being accomplished using method A) is by using a long technocrane. The crane would be extended out as far as possible almost on the street and it pulls back, eventually going through a window in a house. All in one take. Then with CGI, add a window and rain running down the window.

Problem is, having to fit a technocrane inside a 1 story house. I believe it will JUST fit inside, but I have never seen it used indoors, and in small spaces. So, I don't think this is my best option.

(3) It will be a night shot. So, I am looking at getting a dark neighbourhood look. The houses are dark, with only a little bit of light on them. Barely visible. Then the lighting flashes lighting up the houses for a split second. How do I light up a neighbourhood (several houses during a rainstorm) to make it look like a lighting storm?

post-55216-0-07052400-1333996491.jpg