If you had £3000, what would you do with it?

Guest JonathanSmith

Guest JonathanSmith

I have a budget of £3000.

Do i

1) Buy a £3000 camera and get as much practise as possible.

2) Or use the cash to make a movie on 16mm

3) Or use it towards tuition at a film school in London although im already studying at London Met University.

If you had £3000, what would you lot do. I need suggestions

How expensive/difficult is it to rent a camera where you live? If it's convenient and relatively inexpensive, and you have a screenplay ready to be filmed, I'd say shoot the movie.

If it's hard to find a good 16mm where you live (as it is here in Birmingham, AL), I'd recommend buying a camera.

I'm not a big fan of film school, though I'm sure you can find many people who are.

Happy shopping...

• Premium Member

Hi,

He's talking pounds, so I'm assuming he's in the UK, which means it's very very expensive indeed. If you happen to live in west London it's convenient enough, but as far as I know there are no other camera rental facilities in the country.

If someone dropped £3k in my lap the last thing I'd do would be blow it on filmmaking!

Phil

Guest fstop

I had £2K last year, plus a grand from my colleagues, and I went DV (DSR500/DXC35+DSR1) and got two shorts done. And with a couple of weekend shoots, a stack of freebies and a decent sized decent crew (all working for the experience) I got more than my money's worth. I am however still in post and STILL raising funds by myself to get post completed! Plus, grading/scoring/sound design/editing is Harryhausen progress when everyone works their real job in the week.

I'd keep that money and make a short film on whatever format you choose by teaming up with other producers and directors. It's a crash course in EVERYTHING, and if luck likes you, it'll all work out!

Edited by fstop

If you seriously want to be a DP buy the camera.

If you seriously want to be a Director do the short film.

If you have little experience with both

But you seriously want to learn & do film--then go to film school

REMEMBER the key word here is SERIOUSLY.

If you're not seriously interested in film than follow Phil's advice.

Good Luck

Edited by Rik Andino

• Premium Member

If I were in that situation I would buy a few good books, "New Cinematographers" being one of them, invest the rest of the money, and start crewing on student films to make a few connections and get a little bit of experience.