NAB 2005 - who's going?

Fraser

Hey hey,

Just wanted to start a quick list of people planning on attending NAB 2005 in Las Vegas April 18 - 21.

I will be there... it's my first time to the conference and second time to Las Vegas.

I'm not attending any of the conferences or talks, I wasn't sure if they would be worthwhile. I plan on spending a hell of a lot of time wandering around the exhibits and seeing all the goodies.

So...... anyone else going? Anyone have classic NAB stories?

Fill me in

• Premium Member
Hey hey,

I'm not attending any of the conferences or talks, I wasn't sure if they would be worthwhile. I

It is well worth it to see and try out the gear first hand. Plus, engineers, etc. are there to answer your questions.

Eat before you get there. Food is expensive at NAB. Also, the Monorail is up and running, so it should be easier to get around.

I never miss it, but then, I live in Las Vegas. :P

• Premium Member

Dammit, I knew this was going to happen - you guys are persuading me, I guess I'll have to go!

Can't reccommend the lectures. I did them the first year and was somewhat unimpressed - if you do them, do the high end filmmaking ones, not the desktop stuff - you can find most of that on the various companies' websites anyway.

Also keep ear to ground for after-hours events - getting into these tends to be a "know somebody" issue, happily someone was able to sponsor me into the Dalsa launch and that stuff's more interesting. And free, with food!

As usual I'd love to find someone who's doing the drive from LA, since I've never seen that part of the US. More than happy to cover the fuel.

There are a couple of places towards the top end of the strip that have reasonably-priced food, and the lower-rent of the Hilton's two restaurants isn't awful. What I want is an Islands restaurant in Vegas - I found one last time I was in LA, and I have been using their two-pound helpings of fries as my benchmark for American excess ever since!

- Phil

Edited by Phil Rhodes

Tim,

I'd be up for a cinematography.com get together. Monday or Tuesday works for me.

I'm staying at the Hilton, I found a decent price for it through the NAB site itself... much better than the low cost online sites (travelocity, expedia, etc).

Cheers,

Fraser

• Premium Member
If there's anything specific anyone here wants me to checkout and report on at NAB, please add your request to this thread.

Well, certainly anything HD related, especially at the camera end. Cameras, lenses, accessories...

I was hoping to go this year, but it looks like I'll be shooting that week.

If there's anything specific anyone here wants me to checkout and report on at NAB, please add your request to this thread.

Could you check out that JVC HDV camera they're boasting about

And any new camera Panasonic has

(I'm almost positively sure they're bring out a new camera)

Thanks

Guest Tim van der Linden

I've got my spot reserved but I'm not 100% sure if I'll be able to make it or not, it all depends on what might come up. But I'll do my best.

Phil, if I do end up going, I will be making the drive there from LA and would be more than happy to cart over there on my way back. I'm just not sure whether I'll be there or not yet, since I am still a student and do have class during the week.

And if I am there, I'd love to go to a cinematography.com get together.