Ultra16 and Viewfinder Modification

Rob McCray

Which, if any, of the lower end 16mm cameras can have their viewfinder modified to match the aspect ratio of Ultra16? I don't like the idea of having to guestimate the frame lines if I'm going to be shooting something that's already difficult to track like a surfer on a wave. From what I've found so far, sounds like the K-3 is out of the question. Thanks in advance for your help.

• Premium Member

K-3 can have their viewfinder's drilled out to be bigger, but I would do Super 16 on a K3 WAY before Ultra-16. It is just about the easiest camera there is to convert to Super 16, even if you don't recenter the mount. If you can find a recentered mount or someone to make one for you than it would be perfect.

Ultra is fine when you have a camera that can't be converted to Super 16, but I'd always go for the slightly bigger area but more importantly the maximum compatibility for transfer. You'll severely limit your transfer options. There are great places out there that can do Ultra transfers like Cinelicous, but not many.

Thanks, Will. I should have mentioned this will be for nothing more than glorified home/surf movies so I don't want to spend too much money. But perhaps I'll save a little bit more and wait until a good deal on a super16 pops up on ebay. Thanks again for taking the time to answer my question.