Motion Blur Effect

Hi there,

I was wondering if there is a good way to achieve motion blur with the sort of streaking lights you get at night with a long time exposure. Is there a way how to achieve this sort of effect other than using time lapse?

I will be shooting digital (prob red one). Is there a way i could do it with the camera, or would it be advisable to send out a second unit with a DSLR to get the time lapse sequence?

I am looking to capture a busy intersection with all them car lights leaving them long trails and streaks of light. Everyone has seen it a thousand times, but I never had to film it myself. Any advise is very much appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Rob

• 2 months later...

Hi there,

I was wondering if there is a good way to achieve motion blur with the sort of streaking lights you get at night with a long time exposure. Is there a way how to achieve this sort of effect other than using time lapse?

I will be shooting digital (prob red one). Is there a way i could do it with the camera, or would it be advisable to send out a second unit with a DSLR to get the time lapse sequence?

I am looking to capture a busy intersection with all them car lights leaving them long trails and streaks of light. Everyone has seen it a thousand times, but I never had to film it myself. Any advise is very much appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Rob

I know exactly what you're talking about! As far as leaving a streak of light behind cars..you can do it easily by turning the ISO on your camera to as low as possible. This works perfect for taking pictures, for video..you may want to look into After Effects? Hope this helps.

• Premium Member

You just need a longer shutter speed which'll cause streaks of light. I'm not sure, exactly what the slowest shutter on a RED id but I would say, black balance! It may well be easier/less conspicuous with a DSLR, and will render much higher resolution still images, which you can re-frame later on if you need. Also would give you real RAW files to work with. Were it me, I'd KISS and go with a DSLR-- though I'd worry a bit about matching lenses-- though I know they have some PL mount Canons.

It is possible to do it with speed ups in After Effects and generated/animated light streaks. Real Smart motion blur will provide some of the basics for cars getting blurred, but I think not so much the greatly extended light streaks. Particular from Trapcode could post create the streaks. It is used to do a lot of the streaky light effects seen in high-end graphics, commercials and such. Particular demo reel

Since most of the time-lapse shots are static, it should be possible to essentially "paint" the effect or even lift some of it from stock footage. If it moves on an orbital boom/dolly, it would have to go to 3D motion tracking as a post effect or a serious mechanical setup.

With trepidation at showing my age, years ago I set up a Bolex 16mm with an Atari 800 computer and a solenoid frame release trigger. That was a fun toy to shoot with at night (extension cords required!).

It can be done in graphic effects with maybe even a fresh look, but depending on the real requirements, budget, etc., it might be easier to do time-lapse.

http://www.davidgreggassociates.com