Lightpainting in Camera Effect

mohab

Hello and good morning ..

I was searching now for several years on some artisitk solution for Lightpainting on a moviecamera .Lightpainting in the fotographik section is quite common.

What i mean long time exposeres several minutes and with a light source like a pen painting out what i would like to see.

Is ther any movie or DP wich had jused a technik for that ?

are there some posibilitie for it even when it could go for motioncontrol.

filming actors and set seperatly.

I know on the post it could be done somehow easyly but thats not what iam want to get.

I have seen fantastik outdoorshots from a franche Fotographer done this on Still.

How could be done that on Film ?

Thank you for any help or comentar.

With best wishes from vienna

A.E.

• Premium Member

I guess I'm showing my age, but didn't they do that in an INXS video some years back? I forget the song.

In any case, I think it was well undercranked to allow for long enough exposure times.

• 2 weeks later...

i know this doesn't answer the question you're asking, but the trick with stills is to find the right exposure for a strobe to freeze the subject, without destroying whatever painting technique you then apply.

also if you're shooting people make them keep their eyes open through the entire exposure or you-know-what happens, so bring eyedrops.

a low level strobe freezing the subject is an important tool for shooting in any long exposure situation. on camera flash is great for this, just be sure to go really low with the output.

jk :ph34r:

I was planning a shot like that for an upcoming project in 35mm. Want to participate?

EXT. HARLEM STREET CORNER NIGHT

In the scene a man is talking to a group of kids in an urban setting (Harlem) telling them a fantastic story. There is a magical moment in the storytelling when their imaginations ignite.

So... I was going to shoot a plate very under cranked like maybe 6-15 f/s. Somewhere in there and somewhat under exposed with longer durations to compensate. (Maybe 1-1.3 stops under, maybe more depending on my intervalometer's capability) Is a Norris Intervalometer best? [still working that out]) We'll do the light painting with hand held colored flashlight beams or hand held lasers if budget allows but I want to just keeping it moving.

Maybe even rewind and double expose at a different frame rate. if I can get the fill just right.

Then come back and shoot the actors in real time at 24 f/s in front of a black velvet mask (thinking green or blue at night will be painfully inconsistent) as if the lamplight was their key.

I'm just now thinking this through as I type. Feel free to check my thinking.

I've still got to sit down with the math and figure in stock choices as well.

I'm thinking that I'll end up with this very active but unidentifiable streaking everywhere but on the people like the world just becam a magical place.

I'm dying to shoot a test of this. I can't wait. Seems like it ought to work.

Edited by Leon Rodriguez