Reverse motion

Hi,

I have to shoot a movie where there will be few shots where the character is shown walking in reverse direction and the seconds needle of a wall clock moving in reverse direction. It should be fairly easy if my motion picture camera has a reverse option. But unfortunately, the camera which I will be using is Arri BL4 which doesn't have the reverse option. So without using the reverse option in the camera, how do we do the technique. Please help.

Thanks

Jayanth Mathavan

India

Sorry, I had forgot to inform that we will not be doing any DI for the film. We are not allowed to do any optical also. So without DI or optical, how to do we do this?

Thanks

Jayanth Mathavan

India

You must turn the camera upside down, then when editing the footage turn the film upside down: the action will be stright but the movement will be reversed.

Rob

• Premium Member

Just keep in mind that by flipping the piece of film end to end after shooting it upside down, the motion will be reversed but the image will be mirrored, i.e. flipped. Unfortunately, it that's a problem, you'd have to then flip the negative around also, but now you'd be printing it through its base and it will look slightly out-of-focus. That's why reverse motion shots in pre-D.I. movies had to either use a camera with a reverse motor or do an optical printer effect by duping the footage.