what to do with overexposed 7212

Okay. Rookie mistake. Just started shooting film. I am using a Canon Scoopic M and exposed Kodak Vision 100T 7212 (100 ASA) outside with a warming filter (85) as if it were 64 ASA.

I used the in-camera meter and set the film speed on the camera side to 64 ASA. Not realizing that that if I were using a hand-held light meter that setting it to 64 ASA would be correct. *But* I was using the Scoopic's internal meter and should have left the setting at 100 ASA and the camera would have compensated for the 85 filter.

My questions: 1) how many stops have I overexposed (I calculate approximately one-stop)? 2) How can I compensate for my mistake at the lab 3) What will the resulting telecine'd image look like with respect to grain, color saturation, latitude and contrast?

Thanks for any advice you may have.

Chris Grove

Los Angeles

if the meter looks trough the filter it will "see" it and take into account the 2/3 stop loss in light because of the filter.

In your case you overexposed by 2/3 of a stop. Nothing to worry about. Don't ask for a pull process, this will bring down the contrast and will be harder to match with other negatives.

2/3 of a stop is well within the latitude of the negative film and may actually be beneficial for grain and saturation, it depends what your "normal' exposure is.

• Premium Member
My questions: 1) how many stops have I overexposed (I calculate approximately one-stop)? 2) How can I compensate for my mistake at the lab 3) What will the resulting telecine'd image look like with respect to grain, color saturation, latitude and contrast?

Thanks for any advice you may have.

Chris Grove

Los Angeles

If I read what you did correctly, you overexposed by 2/3 stop. Well within the latitude of 7212. If anything, a bit of overexposure will give richer shadow detail and even finer grain. Process normally. Your printer lights will be about 5 higher than normal, well within the capability of correction. Likewise, on telecine, your colorist will have no problem getting a high quality image.

If I read what you did correctly, you overexposed by 2/3 stop.  Well within the latitude of 7212.  If anything, a bit of overexposure will give richer shadow detail and even finer grain.  Process normally.  Your printer lights will be about 5 higher than normal, well within the capability of correction.  Likewise, on telecine, your colorist will have no problem getting a high quality image.

Thanks so much. It seems my mistake may lead to some interesting results!

Thanks

Chris Grove

if the meter looks trough the filter it will "see" it and take into account the 2/3 stop loss in light because of the filter.

In your case you overexposed by 2/3 of a stop. Nothing to worry about. Don't ask for a pull process, this will bring down the contrast and will be harder to match with other negatives.

2/3 of a stop is well within the latitude of the negative film and may actually be beneficial for grain and saturation, it depends what your "normal' exposure is.

Thanks Dirk. I appreciate the information. Very useful.

Chris Grove

• Premium Member

No worries at all. You won't see a thing different when it's printed down.

A little story - Kodaks older 500T and 50D both had yellow sealing tapes on the can. It's sometimes practice to tape these to the mag to know what stock's in them. Well, a friend did just that but then accidentally threaded the 500T on a bright exterior when they were supposed to shoot 50D. They didn't think 3,5 stops overexposure would be salveable, but I did. I was right.

• Premium Member
No worries at all. You won't see a thing different when it's printed down.

A little story -  Kodaks older 500T and 50D both had yellow sealing tapes on the can. It's sometimes practice to tape these to the mag to know what stock's in them. Well, a friend did just that but then accidentally threaded the 500T on a bright exterior when they were supposed to shoot 50D. They didn't think 3,5 stops overexposure would be salveable, but I did. I was right.

Kodak color negative films do have amazing overexposure latitude! B) But gross overexposure may result in a negative so dense that the printer setup must be changed to print it. On some telecines, really dense negatives increase the electronic noise level, especially in the highlights.

Slight overexposure of a color negative usually increases shadow detail, results in richer blacks, and reduces graininess. But avoid significant overexposure of more than a stop or two if you can.

I used the in-camera meter and set the film speed on the camera side to 64 ASA. Not realizing that that if I were using a hand-held light meter that setting it to 64 ASA would be correct. *But* I was using the Scoopic's internal meter and should have left the setting at 100 ASA and the camera would have compensated for the 85 filter.

Chris Grove

Los Angeles

That's why it's recommended one should rely less on the in camera meter

And get a personal "hand" meter to use.

I am using a Canon Scoopic M Not realizing that that if I were using a hand-held light meter that setting it to 64 ASA would be correct. *But* I was using the Scoopic's internal meter and should have left the setting at 100 ASA and the camera would have compensated for the 85 filter.

Actually Canon Scoopic does not meter thru the lens, it uses separated metering window above the lens. So there's no mistake.