Gaffer

I have been shooting quite a few shorts lately and I wish that I could build a friendship with a gaffer. Someone to have on my shoots whom I trust and that can light. I am quite comfortable myself with doing this but it would be great to have someone like this on set when I am shooting. If their is any gaffers here and live in the VA area it would be great to team up sometime. Additionally, I am wondering is it best to train a gaffer or find someone who has a passion for it? Please no sarcasm or crazy responses.

thanks in advance

Mario Concepcion Jackson

Edited by Mario C Jackson

• 1 month later...

As a gaffer, I feel the most important thing is that, the person you build this relationship with, is just as passionate about lighting as you are about your cinematography. Do you mean train them to your style, or do you mean train them to light? If you find some one passionate about lighting, it only takes a couple scenes before we have figured out what you like and start implementing it without you needing to explain. Instead, it will start a dialogue between us, and that is what you really want. Some one you can bounce ideas off of and even ask for their opinion when your not positive about a decision. Lighting is most akin to painting, you want someone passionate.

• Premium Member

I really like it when I have people who can make a suggestion to me which i'd never have thought of. Especially when it's a good idea, but even if i disagree it's nice to have someone there who thinks just slightly differently than me to act as my second eyes. I also like it when a Gaff can tell me they think it looks like donkey ____ when I ask (and I try to ask often). I feel if you "trained" someone too much, they might not be able to-- as they would be too akin to you, ya know? It is great, though, to have someone you come up with, and keep them close. I wish I could call up the great people I know more often; but often i don't want to insult them (if you know what I mean-- they are too good for a lot of the stuff I do because I like the challenge and honestly would rather be shooting than sitting at home).

I will say, at least for me, and maybe for you, I need a gaffer who won't get too ticked off if I happen to grab a head while they're busy and position it myself-- it's a bad habit gained from never really having enough people and / or not being able to really articulate what I want/need. And yes, you NEED someone with as much, if not more, passion than you have-- though I'd recommend trying to find someone also tempered by some experiences not @ your side, you know?