Feed thru cord switch

Hi all,

First post on this wonderful forum.

I am in the process of converting some Strand Fresnelite fixtures for film set use. I got a really great deal on several of these fixtures and they're really, really clean. I almost feel like I took advantage of the seller. At any rate, they came set up for theater grid applications with a short cable, a Bates plug, and no power switch. I want to replace the short Bates terminated cable with a long edison cable with an "inline" power switch like you find on regular Arri and MR fixtures. But I'm having trouble locating feed thru switches rated any higher than 3A. These are 1K fixtures, so I really need something rated at 10A (at least 8.4A). Does anybody know of a source for such a beast?

Also, these fixtures come with a prefocus type base (BTR globes) as opposed to a bi-post type base. I'm really not clear on the difference as far as the quality/output of the light (I realize there is a physical difference in base itself). Can anyone elucidate the differences between these two types of bases/globes?

Thanks so much for any input.

-Guy

Edited by Guy Staley

Cord you could buy at home depot. 12/3 is what you want though 14/3 would also work if memory serves properly.

http://www.filmtools...10wareswl4.html

There's a switch for you ;)

Yes, power cable wasn't the issue.

BTW: 25'@#14 AWG=1.1v drop, or a ~1%, so perfectly acceptable for a 1k fixture. In fact, 10'@16 AWG=0.7v drop which is also perfectly acceptable :)

Thank you for the link to the switch; spendy little buggers! I actually looked on the Filmtools site but couldn't find anything.

try coollights.biz

they are $10 for 15a model.

Hey, thanks for that link Robert. I knew there had to be a less expensive alternative. I need several of these, and I was having a hard time biting the bullet for the Arri switches at $35 per plus shipping.

Those switches you linked to are actually rated at 20A@120V (I'm in the states).

I'm also curious about the Coollite tungsten and HMI fixtures. Are they good quality units? Anybody know???

Thanks again to everyone for their input.