Ideal flag size???

Guy Staley

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I always keep 2 "fast flags" or "road rags" kits on me. one's a 24x36 and the other is a 18x24. Also have a 24x36 full silk which I found in the street just driving through Philadelphia one day... which was odd. If i was inclined I'd also probably grab a 4x4 kit; because sometimes you need something bigger.

I always keep 2 "fast flags" or "road rags" kits on me. one's a 24x36 and the other is a 18x24. Also have a 24x36 full silk which I found in the street just driving through Philadelphia one day... which was odd. If i was inclined I'd also probably grab a 4x4 kit; because sometimes you need something bigger.

As for the 4x4s: I generally use 4x frames for diffusion, but do you find that to be a useful size for flagging and/or scrimming?

I want to build some collapsable 4x frames (ala "scrim jim") to keep in my rig. It should be pretty easy to design; I just need to come up with a solution for mounting the assembled frame to a grip head.

Edited by Guy Staley

• 1 month later...

As for the 4x4s: I generally use 4x frames for diffusion, but do you find that to be a useful size for flagging and/or scrimming?

I want to build some collapsable 4x frames (ala "scrim jim") to keep in my rig. It should be pretty easy to design; I just need to come up with a solution for mounting the assembled frame to a grip head.

I find that 4x4 floppy's are invaluable onset. They cane be used for just about anything: cutting lighting, negative fill or even a courtesy flag on sunny exteriors.

• 3 months later...

This is an interesting question. I have found that the 24x36 and 4x4 are the most useful. For small shoots the 4x4 is so important for negative fill and sun blockage. As well as reflection issues that arise. Having some empty 4x4 frames with diffusion is also great for day exterior. The 24x36 is so versatile for light shaping and flare issues.