What is a PL mount?

I've been looking at S16mm cameras, and among their descriptions is a PL mount. What does PL mean, what is it good for etc....? My cinematography lingo is not as savvy as many of you, so if there is a simple way of you eplaining this I would greatly appreciate it. On a side note: I think this site is great and what all of you do is great, I have never found another place that has been so condusive in helping beginning or aspiring DPs and filmmakers. Thank you all.

I've been looking at S16mm cameras, and among their descriptions is a PL mount.  What does PL mean, what is it good for etc....?  My cinematography lingo is not as savvy as many of you, so if  there is a simple way of you eplaining this I would greatly appreciate it.  On a side note:  I think this site is great and what all of you do is great, I have never found another place that has been so condusive in helping beginning or aspiring DPs and filmmakers.  Thank you all.

PL simply means: "positive lock." It's a locking mechanism to mount a lens to the camera body. There are different types of mounts out there, but PL is the most prevalent.

Hope this helps.

PL mount is actually a lens mount invented for Arri 35mm cameras

So most modern 35mm cine lenses will be in a PL mount

Therefore if you have a PL mount S16 camera

You can use most of the new 35mm lenses

Which is the major benefit of having a PL mount.

PS Most modern S16 lenses also come on a PL mount

It is the most popular of the new lens mounts

They also don't restrict you on putting the aperature/focus marks on the left side of the camera like the Panavision mounts. It's great for ACs that have no space on the left of the camera and mostly all of european Operators and DPs shoot from the right side.