Man of Steel - 2013 Superman Reboot

While casually browsing IMDb, I came across a user-created list of movies being released in 2013, and saw that Zack Snyder is directing a new Superman film titled "Man of Steel" that's apparently a reboot film of the story. Usually Larry Fong is director of photography in Snyder's films, but interestingly enough, Amir Mokri is listed as the DP for "Man of Steel." The film is co-written by Christopher Nolan and David S. Goyer, the very same as the recent Batman films, and apparently was handed to Snyder to direct after several other directors before him turned down the offer. Buzzing through the IMDb, I saw some of the technical specs are available, and it says it's being shot on the Panaflex Millenium XL in 35mm, and the aspect ratio being 2.35:1. Other than that, there's no other specific data on the lenses, film, and so on. The film apparently has approximately a $175m budget, too.

I googled around, looking for any more information and found some of these set photos, as well as an officially released promo photo for the film by Warner Brothers. Other than that, there's just a lot of speculation by bloggers and many rumors going about. Here's the IMDb page for "Man of Steel": http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0770828/. If anyone knows anything more about it, do share! Below are some of those photos I mentioned:

8NgdFl.jpg

xM1rLl.jpg

I believe Larry Fong had a prior commitment, which is why he couldn't do this.

They shot Kodak, and given Snyder's other films, and all the effects work, they probably shot full-frame Super 35 with spherical Primos.

I also remember hearing somewhere that this was originally going to be a sequel, not a reboot. It was also going to be digital 3D.

I believe Larry Fong had a prior commitment, which is why he couldn't do this.

They shot Kodak, and given Snyder's other films, and all the effects work, they probably shot full-frame Super 35 with spherical Primos.

I also remember hearing somewhere that this was originally going to be a sequel, not a reboot. It was also going to be digital 3D.

Interesting. I looked at Larry Fong's IMDb page, and he's working on a film titled "Now You See Me" to be released in 2013.

He is shooting in anamorphic, so it will be interesting to see how it turns out compared to his other work.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Amir is a solid DP and he could not be in better hands. I've admired Amir's work since back in the Blue Steel days and he always delivers. It's slick, yet artistic.

O.M.G. he is the cinematographer of cult classic "Freejack"!!!

Wow!

Don't understand the uncredited thing tho, were they being mean to him, or did he not want to be associated?

Not seen it for years but I remember the cinematography being just fine!

Mick Jagger and Anthony Hopkins! :)

I actually really like that kind of 80's/early 90's sci-fi look a lot! :)

Also he shot Fast 4 by the look of things. I can't believe how many of those films they crank out. They were shooting Fast 6 across the road from me some weeks ago and it was the biggest film setup I had ever seen. They had this giant green Lee Lighting crane that appeared to just be to hold some scrim or something? It was something else! :)

What an interesting history this fellow has had!

Good luck to him with the superman thing I say! :)

love

Freya

• 2 months later...

I've been a Superman fan since I was 5....I am really looking forwrd to seeking what Snyder/Nolan's vision will ultimately be. I am NOT expected Batman nor Superman: The Movie, but just a great movie that captures Superman for todays audience. There hasn't been a feature film about Superman origins since 1978, but there has been two origin Batman movies, Green Lantern to Marvels side.

My hope is that it's a great movie, period !!..For all us die-hards, I hope we don't over-hype this movie so much that nothing will exceed or expectations, that no matter how good it is, we won't be satisfied....Snyder is a great director, but is young, I think this will be a great film....Nolan said in an interview two weeks ago, he's blown away by what Snyder has done.....I think with Batman being so huge and not Superman this yr, this will be the entry for Justice League....