New Cinematography Reel

My Demo Reel I am looking for some feed back since I never posted my reels on forums before and want to know what other cinematographers think about it. I am looking for more experienced older cinemtogaphers' feed back mostly, I just finished school and just started being hired as a music video DP in LA.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Alex,

I think the strong points of your work are definitely the slow motion parts and some of the beach scenes. The first shot of the girl in the field at the beginning of the video particularly stands out and is beautiful piece of footage. The basement/underground music video also looks cool. You seem to have a clear understanding of lighting and composition within a frame.

If I’m going to be harsh a few bits in the middle seem a bit amateurish, such as the part with the cars, the woman poisoning the man and the domestic abuse bit. I would cut those out.

Hope this helps,

P. J. Scott

Twitter: @pjscott89

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Alex,

I think the strong points of your work are definitely the slow motion parts and some of the beach scenes. The first shot of the girl in the field at the beginning of the video particularly stands out and is beautiful piece of footage. The basement/underground music video also looks cool. You seem to have a clear understanding of lighting and composition within a frame.

If I’m going to be harsh a few bits in the middle seem a bit amateurish, such as the part with the cars, the woman poisoning the man and the domestic abuse bit. I would cut those out.

Hope this helps,

P. J. Scott

Twitter: @pjscott89

Thank you for watching my reel and giving me some critique. I agree with you, I those shots are the weakest and I am constantly updating and getting rid of the amateur stuff as I get more professional work. I just Graduated few, months ago and trying to get my career started, so professional opinions and advice are much appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for watching my reel and giving me some critique. I agree with you, I those shots are the weakest and I am constantly updating and getting rid of the amateur stuff as I get more professional work. I just Graduated few, months ago and trying to get my career started, so professional opinions and advice are much appreciated.

Ha I’ve just graduated myself in the same position as you, but I’m glad my opinion is valued! I’m envious of your reel I would put your work far above the average quality for a graduate. How did you get into film making?

• 3 weeks later...

I really enjoyed your reel. I just transferred to CSUN and am entering the program. How'd you like it? I really havent gotten too many opinions out of people besides "its good," hopefully you can give me a little more detail than that. haha