35mm canon ef mount lenses on u16

Giray Izcan

I shot a can of film with my recently converted NPR (u16) using a canon ef mount adapter. Obviously, I did not use actual canon ef lenses (lack of aperture ring). I used my Rokinon 35mm f 1.4 and Zeiss Jena 50mm f1.8. I am really eager to find out the outcome of it. Has anyone used these lenses on 16, ultra 16 or super 16 before? Image should probably be pretty sharp. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

I shot a can of film with my recently converted NPR (u16) using a canon ef mount adapter. Obviously, I did not use actual canon ef lenses (lack of aperture ring). I used my Rokinon 35mm f 1.4 and Zeiss Jena 50mm f1.8. I am really eager to find out the outcome of it. Has anyone used these lenses on 16, ultra 16 or super 16 before? Image should probably be pretty sharp. Thanks.

I haven't used those particular lenses but I've been experimenting with other lenses adapted for my own U16 camera. The images should be pretty sharp assuming A)The image is coming more so through the middle "sweet spot" of the glass and B) Especially if you used the "sharpest aperture" (Under F.11 but 2 steps above widest open) and C) Although not the same as sharpness- using 35mm glass should insure (In theory) you won't have any vignette in the image.

I'm not sure what your trying for with your lens choices and mount system. Did you see this set of Kowa (CP) primes with CA-1 mount that were just on eBay. Don't think they sold. By reputation they are slightly softer, warmer and less contrasty that Zeiss super speeds (I've never used them). People who have used them seem to love them. There are some screen shots taken with Kowa primes somewhere on the forum. Here's the eBay URL.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280942528548?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

There have been some bargains with Zeiss MKI super speeds on eBay over the last few months also. There is an Arri B to CA-1 camera mount adapter that will let you use them on your NPR.

If you are buying single lenses you could still ne strategic and end up with a set. Zeiss MKIs are quite common and cheap. Kowas are quite rare, maybe better to jump on a set if they are cheap.

Cheers,

Gregg.