Digitizing Footage from SDX900 to FCP

Andy O'Neil

• Premium Member
What outputs does the SDX have? SDI? Analog? Firewire? If I could use the camera as a deck to digitize the footage, that would be primo.

The stock SDX-900 only has composite video output. No firewire. There's an add-on SDI board which gives you SDI output capability.

J

• Premium Member
Thanks John,

Does that mean there is no practical way of digitizing directly from the camera to computer?

If this IS possible, what hardware is needed?

If the camera is equipped with the PN-AJ-YA902G  -- SDI Output Board, you can capture from the camera to an NLE that's has SDI input capability (there are many different cards/BOB's etc that do this). However, I don't think there's any "deck control" capability, I think you'd have to capture on the fly. I never use the camera as a deck, so I'm just speculating on this last point. The SDI board itself is generally used for capturing uncompressed 10-bit 4:2:2 directly from the camera, not for capturing shot tapes.

J

I actually posed this question to a friend of mine who works for Apple just a few days ago. He said that Apple makes a break out box that will take just about any input and output to firewire. I'll find out more for you if your interested.

I actually posed this question to a friend of mine who works for Apple just a few days ago.  He said that Apple makes a break out box that will take just about any input and output to firewire.  I'll find out more for you if your interested.

I'd be interested in finding out more about this Apple product,

Thanks Bryan!

rod