First short film

Hey guys, I shot this short film half a year ago. It was the first one I have done and without any knowledge of lighting or how to shoot it, so I just did what I thought looked good. It was made in 6 weeks from writing the story to the final cut and a budget on 300$.

I shot it on a 60D with a 24-70mm 2.8. We had 3 dedolights and 2 blondes available. There's lots of things I would have changed if I made it today after working alot as a electrician but we have to start at one point.

Please give some feedback if you feel like it cause I haven't really gotten any yet.

Allez

Regards

Nicholas Bluff

Hey guys, I shot this short film half a year ago. It was the first one I have done and without any knowledge of lighting or how to shoot it, so I just did what I thought looked good. It was made in 6 weeks from writing the story to the final cut and a budget on 300$.

I shot it on a 60D with a 24-70mm 2.8. We had 3 dedolights and 2 blondes available. There's lots of things I would have changed if I made it today after working alot as a electrician but we have to start at one point.

Please give some feedback if you feel like it cause I haven't really gotten any yet.

Allez

Regards

Nicholas Bluff

Thank you for sharing. It was a nice story with good visuals. Keep up the good work.

• 1 month later...

Really excellent! I absolutely adored it other than the type face for the title (which you had nothing to do with), and the final 10 seconds or so (not that is was bad, I just didn't feel like it resolved the film as well as it could have).

It appears that most of it was handheld, what sort of gear did you use in tandem with your 60D.

Once again, I'm very impressed.

How did you get involved with this film? Who wrote and/or directed it? Also excellent actors. Please tell us more about the whole process.

• 2 weeks later...

Really excellent! I absolutely adored it other than the type face for the title (which you had nothing to do with), and the final 10 seconds or so (not that is was bad, I just didn't feel like it resolved the film as well as it could have).

It appears that most of it was handheld, what sort of gear did you use in tandem with your 60D.

Once again, I'm very impressed.

How did you get involved with this film? Who wrote and/or directed it? Also excellent actors. Please tell us more about the whole process.

Hey Anthony, thankyou for your feedback. We had chance to use a glidecam with the vest and arm, but parts of it was missing and we couldn't stabilize it properbly. So I just used it a my handheld rig most of the time, because we also didn't have a shoulder rig. I used the 60D with canon's 24-70 L, and a tripod. With the lights I had no idea of what I was doing, but just tried to make it look good. Our budget was around 500$ and it was all done in 6 weeks, from writing the story to the final cut.

It was directed by my friend Oliver Tonning, who went to a filmschool, where they had to do a short film halfway through the year. We made a new one some months ago which was his exam film I also was dp on. Same amount of money and time, but without subtitles sorry, but heres a link for it:

I hope it answered some of your questions

Regard Nicholas Bluff

It looks like you did a number of zooms while using the glidecam, how did you achieve this while staying stable (did you have the arm attachment?)? What focal length do you typically use when using the glidecam? Do you change focus as you go? Did you have a focus puller?

I thought Allez was a really nice little film. The character obsevations feel quite mature. I guess that's a comment on the direction, acting and photograpy. You used available light and a tiny lighting kit really well. A small part of my brain registered a couple of flaws, but I was fully engaged with the film. Maybe you have a good partnership with this director, so I hope you stick together.

The ending, where Sofia smiles after the kiss. The smile feels like an overt gesture (by the film maker, not the actor). I don't think it is an adequate way to carry all the ideas that it tries to. And it's over expressing things that we have already arrived at for ourselves.

Cheers,

Gregg