Aaton A Minima

MikeyWilliams

I just saw one, i havn't looked into them much at all, but they look super small and from what i hear not very expensive...$575CDN. It looks pretty good for small work and times when you need to put a camera anywhere. From what i hear from rental houses, they've had quite a few problems. NOt to mention needing special 200' emulsion out daylight spools only available from Kodak. Has anyone used one or heard anything negative/positive about them?

• Premium Member

I assume 575CDN is referring to a rental price? Because last time I checked an Aaton A-Minima costs about 15000 new.

I've never used one, but they are apparently odd to load (though easy when you get the hang of it) and loud.

I've owned one for a few years, and found it perfect for a range of projects. We do a lot of commercials and corporate work, and it's superb. Registration is perfect, the viewfinder is very bright and clear, controls are simple and fast, etc. It's a tank. Loading it is really pretty easy. I'm not sure why people complain about it. The only downsides are the 200' loads, and the fact that you can't orient the viewfinder. We've used the camera for sync sound applications dozens of times, and only had noise issues once (inside a parked car with a wide-angle lens, inches from the actors).

Other plusses: built in intervalometer. Timecode. Complete lack of hair in the gate. Ever. The bottom line: the little A-Minima often starts a project as a B camera and ends up being the one in position to get the great shots.

• Premium Member

I wouldn't call them loud, nor would I call them quiet.

They're great little cameras... Best used with primes... a zoom will typically make it front heavy and make your wrist soar quick. The camera is pretty robust and relativly easy to service for most basic maintenance. It has a wonderful incident light meter on the side, intervolometer software, etc... Loading isn't too complicated once you do it a few times, and they're daylight load spools so you can get away with loading in subdued light.

It's a swell camera but it fills a niche and for most applications you'd be better off with a XTRprod.

The Aaton Minima is really good for shooting in tight spaces. The built-in intervalometer is handy when there is no budget for more sophisticated units. The 200ft loads can slow things down a bit but if you need a small super16 camera this is it.

If you're looking for a small S16 camera

You should also check out the IKONOSKOP

http://www.ikonoskop.com/

It doesn't have all the cool features the A-minima has

It's got no reflex viewfinder, PL-mount, light-meter, intervalometer, etc...

But it's 1/3 the price of the A-minima

And it's pretty damn small! :)

I think it's pretty cool for handheld action stuff.

Good Luck

• Premium Member

The A-minima is great. As someone here said - it's got the brightest viewfinder of any 16mm cam I've ever used. Only drawback is the A-minima loads that are a bit to expensive. I've re-spooled from a big 400ft roll a couple of times, but it's a bit of a pain.