Super 8 projection problems

Oscarmac

Hello, I have just got my first super 8 film back from processing but cannot project it.

Basically, it won't feed properly into the threading slot as the perforations are on the wrong side. If I rewind it twice so the perforations are facing me (as demanded in the instructions for my projector) the emulsion (dull side) ends up being on the inside of the reel which I know is supposed to be on the outside?!? Could it be possible that the lab have put the film the wrong way around i.e. the leader should be on the other end?

Sorry if this all sounds confusing. I really want to see the footage I shot but cannot work out how to solve the feeding problem without damaging the film.

Any help and suggestions would be really appreciated!

Put the reel on the feed spindle of the projector with the leader dropping down to the right. The film should be emulsion-out with the perfs towards you (on the left as seen from the front).

If it is emulsion-in then you have it tail out (the end of the film coming off the reel) instead of head out (the beginning). Rewind it with a twist and it should be right. Did you have it transferred as well? If so the lab just didn't rewind it.

If you ever come across a contact copy of a film, it's the other way round- emulsion-in. Camera originals are always projected emulsion-out.

(I had to get a reel out of the archive to check that one).