Autpole

I am thinking of getting about 4 of these. Has anyone any advice.

They seem to come in 2 sizes. I would like to get them in my car not sure how small the big one goes down to.

I would use them for mounting lights but mainly to 6x6 or 8x8 frames indoors. I saw a unit which might allow me to mount the cloth straight to the unit without using my frames.

The seem light and clean and failry cheap about £70 a unit

thanks

Rolfe

• Premium Member

Very useful - often referred to as a Polecat in the UK (not sure about the US nomenclature). Can't support very heavy stuff and should be treated with safety in mind - they do fall down at times. But for a Kino or two as a easy way to rig a toplight in a crowded apartment - they're great.

• 2 weeks later...

I have four 2950 AutoPoles myself along with a couple of 2x4 wall spreaders. The AutoPoles are excellent for small interiors and lightweight fixtures and grip.

BUT BE CAREFUL! A longer horizontal span can SAG AND FALL! Consider placing loads near the ends rather than toward the center. Better, add two vertical autopoles to support the horizontal span. Connect each vertical pole to the horizontal with two super mafer clamps and a swivel snap-in.

Any time a light is suspended over people, add a safety wire between light and pole and, preferaby, to some other more secure architectural feature.

Span a horizontal pole only between wall studs. Use a stud finder and bit of light-stick tape to mark the locations of the studs.

Wipe off the rubber ends before using to avoid staining surfaces. Consider a buffer of clean cloth or rubber to protect surfaces.

Michael

Very useful - often referred to as a Polecat in the UK (not sure about the US nomenclature).

We call them Polecats too (at least in NYC dunno about LA)

I think they can take at most 30 pounds

I know you hang two 4x4 Kinos and maybe a tweenie

On the shorter one...

In the longer one it's something more about distributing weight.

And you gotta be careful with the older models

Cause the suction cups don't work as good as the newer models.

As for sizes I think the smaller one is like 5 or 6 feet compact

And the larger one around 7 or 9 feet compact.

• Premium Member

When possible I will put them over window frames, or door frames, so that if they slip, the frames will catch, or delay the falling autopole. If no frames, put wooden uprights under them for support. I, or the Set Dept. will camoflage the uprights and make them part of the set. Sometimes you get lucky and an owner, or manager will let you drill into the wall to safety your wall breakers, Oo I mean spreaders, wall spreaders. :~) .

Bring your stud finder, so you don't put a hole in the wall. That would make them "Holecats". Sorry, had to say it.

2950 82.7" - 45.7"

076 59" - 106.2"

2953 39.4 - 67"

Sorry, no metric conv. :~(

Go to Manfrotto's website, or the UK distributor's.

Be careful that the rubber cups don't leave black skidmarks. Very bad. Very, very bad.