Getting video on the net

jasarsenault

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

It depends on how big the film is, in file size I mean. If it's something like 15 meg or something you could probably just sign up to a free online FTP like geocities or something. Although bare in mind that the URL to your video would go "www.geocities.com/*youraccountname*".

Although if you're talking more 150 meg e.t.c., then you?ll probably have to buy a domain. But, it's worth it, you get tons of space and your own URL. i.e. "www.*myfilm*.com".

You could probably buy a domain for a year with 200 meg for something like £80. Rough guess, that?s about what I had to pay when I bought a domain ages ago, so it may have gotten cheaper by now. (No doubt it has gotten cheaper, either that or you just get a lot more in the package, i.e. a lot more web space)

You could always check what package your ISP supplies with your internet actually. My NTL ISP provides 50meg free online space. Although I still have to have NTL in the URL.

>>If it's something like 15 meg or something you could probably just sign up to a

>>free online FTP like geocities

Keep in mind, though, that GeoCities and similar free webhosting sites give you very limited bandwidth transfer. Bandwidth transfer is very important, especially when it comes to large files like video - for example, three people may watch the clip and then the account will be suspended for 24hrs (or one person can let the clip load, then refresh, three times, same thing).

I second looking into the webspace your ISP provides. Mine gives me 25MB per account (which, I believe, I can have 5 of), and so far what seems like unlimited bandwidth transfer.

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith
Keep in mind, though, that GeoCities and similar free webhosting sites give you very limited bandwidth transfer. Bandwidth transfer is very important, especially when it comes to large files like video - for example, three people may watch the clip and then the account will be suspended for 24hrs (or one person can let the clip load, then refresh, three times, same thing).

Good point, another reason to buy a domain. Although even with the domains that you buy, there are still bandwidth limits, but they are much greater than bandwidth limits on geocities or something.

I'm not sure what the bandwidth limits are on free web space that comes with your ISP, I've never run into any problems before though, and I've never noticed anything saying there is a bandwidth limit or anything.

Edited by Daniel J. Ashley-Smith