Meanwhile at the New York Film Festival...

Bill DiPietra

Just playing devil's advocate... but... it's not like film projections can't have the same issues.

http://chicagomaroon.com/2012/02/17/doc-films-hit-with-projection-problems/

And, you can more easily have backup files and projectors than you can a film print and projector (well, maybe mostly the print).

Problems can arise in any format, it just depends on what people tend to publicize more. Just like swine flu. Technically more people die from the regular flu and complications more than swine flu but swine is just what got all the press.

Mike Figgis had a digital disaster just the other week with a screening of The Co(te)lette Film, in his own words:

screening last night of Co(te)lette ....arghhhh, a 33% crop, eyes and feet MIA. Sprint up to projctn booth to discover they know... so unbearable to watch. Folks think its 'experimental' framing.

Just playing devil's advocate... but... it's not like film projections can't have the same issues.

http://chicagomaroon.com/2012/02/17/doc-films-hit-with-projection-problems/

And, you can more easily have backup files and projectors than you can a film print and projector (well, maybe mostly the print).

Problems can arise in any format, it just depends on what people tend to publicize more. Just like swine flu. Technically more people die from the regular flu and complications more than swine flu but swine is just what got all the press.

The difference is, running a film projector is just easier. That story was about inexperience and fluffed reel changes, not a complete breakdown. Not even a breakdown, just no-one knew what to do. Someone in that building could have run a film.

I once saw a muffed reel change at the NFT but they just fixed it because the projectionists knew what to do. If a computer craps out you've had it.

The difference is, running a film projector is just easier. That story was about inexperience and fluffed reel changes, not a complete breakdown. Not even a breakdown, just no-one knew what to do. Someone in that building could have run a film.

I once saw a muffed reel change at the NFT but they just fixed it because the projectionists knew what to do. If a computer craps out you've had it.

But, if you have a backup hard drive, backup computer, backup projector (which I'm hoping places would have), then you'd seemingly be ok. Say a film projector catches fire and the reel melts with it, well...

True, you might be able to save some of it and just lose the melted piece, etc etc.

I'm not advocating one over the other, I'm just saying everything has its potential pitfalls.

Guest Christopher Sheneman

Funny, I run my projector night after night after using only a VGA cable and Netflix. No problems here.

But, if you have a backup hard drive, backup computer, backup projector (which I'm hoping places would have), then you'd seemingly be ok. Say a film projector catches fire and the reel melts with it, well...

Actually even then they would have been in trouble as there was nothing wrong with the projector, computer or hard drive.

I'm not an expert on this stuff but I think I can explain a little about what happened because I've heard this story a couple of times before. It's not that uncommon with DCP's sadly.

The problem was not really about the hardware or software exactly, but more to do with the licensing. DCP's are often very locked down. In order to use them you have to input a special key that they are given. The key is time limited and expires at a certain time. What often happens is that something is wrong with the way the key is set up, or maybe there is a delay in starting the film, and as a result the key expires. It's supposed to be possible for people to ring up and get a new key for the print via a special number but sometimes that doesn't work out either for whatever reason and the cinema ends up locked out of the DCP and theres nothing they can do.

The nearest analogue comparison would be if all the prints came in locked cases and you needed a special key to open them, only it's not quite the same because obviously a key wouldn't expire. Maybe if the key was made of ice and slowly melted or something. Dunno.

So as a result, they can test everything is working earlier and have everything up and running and ready to go, but then it can suddenly stop working because the key suddenly expired.

It's basically an anti piracy measure to stop people copying DCP's or playing them outside their allocated windows etc.

love

Freya