Kodak 5229

Hi!

I know that it was used on lost in Translation. I am using the film as a visual reference for my graduation film which im shooting in two weeks (7229). Ive only recently started learning about the stock, and have watched the kodak test dvd where they put it through its paces - its really amazing stuff!

regards, Ben Jones (England)

• Premium Member

I used it on a commercial not long ago in combination with some Low Con filters and was very impressed. And so was the very sought-after colorist at Moving Picture Company who did the grade. Grainless, exceptional dig into the blacks and very pleasing for a low con-stock.

Which is also my new approach in TK - since I think people still grade with too much contrast (although its not as bad as it used to be), I'll counter that as much as possible by using the milkiest and least contrasty stock. Doesn't save it from the dreaded bleach-bypass-wannabe-look, but at least it makes the blacks hold on a bit longer.

Mind you, I don't change my lighting style, just the rest.

• Premium Member

"Lost in Translation" was made before 5229 was released. I believe it was shot on the low-con 5263 stock.

There were films shot on the Expression 500T version before 5229, which was 5284, like the first half of "Cold Mountain". But 5229 is finer-grained and sharper than 5284 was.

"Lost in Translation" was made before 5229 was released. I believe it was shot on the low-con 5263 stock.

There were films shot on the Expression 500T version before 5229, which was 5284, like the first half of "Cold Mountain".  But 5229 is finer-grained and sharper than 5284 was.

Am I wrong or was Altman's Gossiford Park shot on 5284? Exclusively, I might add.

chris