Dear Filmmakers,

I am a student and have a question, will a 812 warming filter really enhance skintones for an interview under 3200 degrees kelvin photofloods or should I use bastard amber gels on the lights? Or could I just use a bastard amber gels and 812 filter to get a even warmer mood?

Thanks in advance

• Premium Member

It's just a warming filter. If you want to just use gels on the lights to warm up the face, fine, if you want to use the 812 instead, fine, if you want to use both techniques, fine. It's just a warming filter, nothing usual. You could also warm up the image by white balancing through a blue filter or gel and then removing it for the shot.

When something goes over the lens, it inevitably will cover the entire image (unless were talking grads). Gelling lights allows us to choose which spots in the frame we want to "warm" or "cool" without affecting everything else.

• Premium Member

David makes a good point. I have this filter but seldom use it. It makes the entire scene look a little too red for me. I can easily add this look in post if I chose. Warming with light gels is what I'd suggest. I use this filter for white balance correction/adjustment more than anything.