The Same Day Kodachrome Processing Thread...

Alessandro Machi

• Premium Member
...I also just want to add that I hope if Yale starts doing K40, you'll let us know asap.

If the West Coast (Yale Labs or perhaps another lab) offered Same Day Processing on Kodachrome 40 at what Kodak deems optimal processing specifications, would that be an enticement to try the film stock and use it more often?

Second Question.

Can any of the New Negative Stocks Rival K-40 in terms of minimal grain?

-------------------

I have three ideas for super-low budget feature length ideas that would be perfect for Kodachrome 40, but I'd like to have the quality of the Switzerland Kodachrome 40 lab, here in the states.

-------------------

Third question

How close to optimal quality is Dwaynes Kodachrome 40 processing?

• Premium Member

I'm not trying to imply that it's an either or situation, both negative and reversal have useful roles in the Super-8 world.

Same day processing of one of the finest grained Super-8 films ever made, Kodachrome 40, processed to a standard that Kodak has documented, would please many filmmakers. As for the film being too contrasty, if it's on the film, a good enough telecine system should be able to preserve the dynamic range. If Kodachrome has less lattitude then negative, then it's possible that if you have a good Kodachrome image, then ALL OF IT should make it to the video copy, IF the transfer is done in a suite that has basically perfected it Super-8 Rank Transfers. (a potentially tall order).

I say that based on the Super-8 Reversal film I saw transferred at Film and Video Transfers. At some point, I'll have to figure out a way to make it available for others to see. Since it's not my film, I don't simply just want to give it out.

However, the filmmaker was quite open to the idea of me circulating their film....

Dwaynes is great for 35mm slide film and that is just the type and style of machine that is processing our super-8 film with a hit or miss in quality. It is designed for 35mm not super8 and the agitation for our super8 is crtiical and the 35mm machine is not consistant.

In 1995 I shot some super-8 sound kodachrome exteriors in the Mountains and the quality Switzerland gace me was fantastic.

Last year I shot 14 rolls of Kodachrome and all were sent to Dwaynes. The quality was bad ie. grain, orange lines running down the middle on most of the rolls. I was told this month that if you mail your kodak mailer in with your film or go through walmart or whoever that the film goes to Maryland then off to the Switzerland plant. As soon as I get a camera again I'm going to shoot a test roll and watch its path to the development plant. Dwaynes or Switzerland? Kodak told me Switzerland, let's see.

• Premium Member

If I decide to have my K-40 sent to Switzerland, it will most definitely be overnight. Has anyone done overnight to Switzerland? What is Kodak's policy on returning processed film via fed-ex?

Dwayne's in Parson's Kansas has special pricing when they return ship via Fed-Ex and they generously pass on the savings to their customers.