any tips about Videofilmsolutions?

Daniel Miler

Hello all,

I saw on another forum a recommendation for these guys:

http://www.videofilmsolutions.com

They seem to have very nice prices for post production work, and I have a low budget 35mm project coming up, so -

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this place?

Any recommendations/ warnings about it?

Thanks!

• Premium Member

I've used them multiple times for processing and transfer in 35mm and 16mm.

They just finished a 2K scan of some 35mm for me. They have the newer Spirit 2K and just got the 2K part up and running. Color looks very good and the main person there (Tom) has a very strong technical background in processing, printing and transfer plus a talent at color correction. The pricing is the lowest I've ever seen for the same type of transfer.

If I can remember I'll post a sample of the transfer in the next few days.

• 2 weeks later...

I received my hard drive yesterday and am quite pleased, at least so far. I only viewed it on my PC monitor so I cannot truly judge the transfer but it does appear to look like my memory of the 35mm print I had created.

As I feared, there were spots from the blow-up. I'll have to somehow erase them. There are actually four spots. not two as I had remembered.

Hopefully this weekend I can encode a Blu-Ray and view on my 72 inch DLP.

By the way, Tommy could not have been nicer.

• 1 month later...

Tom Aschenbach is the son of the co-founder of archiving's highly regarded Colorlab, which is located next door to VideoFilm Soutions.

Not sure about any business connection, but here's a Washington Post article from Sept. 4, 2012 that tells about Colorlab and mentions Tom as an "in house solution" to a problem mentioned in the article.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2012-09-04/lifestyle/35496741_1_film-prints-suniewick-colorlab/2

They are nice folks. Chatted with Russ at the AMIA Conference in Seattle last month.

Hope this is helpful.

Ted