Vintage Bolex

iowafilm

I have recently acquired a vintage Bolex camera, it has a three lens turret and it was used in the 70's and 80's as a camera for a local tv station. It looks a little beat up, and not sure if it works. I am getting ready to do a documentary and shoot on film for the first time. How can I check if this camera works with out shooting film?

Matthew

• Premium Member

What have you got against shooting film? Or are you considering running expensive film through the camera on a real production without having tested it?

Even well-maintained equipment from rental houses gets tested with film before being put into use on a production. Have the camera serviced, and shoot a test roll of film. 100' of 16mm reversal is not that expensive to shoot, develop, and project. Far less than several hundred feet of wasted film and lost once-in-a-lifetime footage.

Michael is totally correct, you really should run film through it first.... However being guilty of not testing properly due to absurd budget constraints myself (Although I knew the guy who sold me the camera and trusted him when it came to it's condition!) There is a few things you can do for ease of mind.

Assuming this Bolex is an H16 spring wound then at least check that it runs smoothly and quietly for more than 25 seconds at 24fps on a full wind. Check the film chamber door will seat properly, check the pressure plate is not scratched. If it's a reflex viewfinder see that the image is clear, any big dark stains can suggest a damaged beam splitter (Bad) or just a dirty viewfinder (no prob).

This info is all in Andrew Alden's "Bolex Bible" a great book about these cameras.

Once again, nothing beats actually exposing some film with it though.

Olly

also consider that many labs will process your camera test rolls (within Reason ) for free if you plan on using them for the rest of the show. so go buy a roll of film and definatly test the camera. Beyond that, you could also use this film to test the stock that you intend on shooting. Regardless of what I am shooting. No matter how many times I have shot a particular stock, I always shoot camera, and stock tests of what ever I am going to be shooting in order to, at the very least, re-acquaint me with the particular characteristics of a specific stocks. It seems to me that you might be able to use that extra experience before going off and shooting for keeps. Make cheap mistakes... Hope I've helped. Goodluck and happy shooting.

Oliver Gläser

By the way, Bolex's, seem to run forever. as long as you know how to load it properly and that it fires when its wound up and the trigger depressed then you can be almost certain that the camera is fine. Check the lenses. Also be aware that older Bolex's sometimes require dual perf film. Most likely your will be fine but check that as well.

Peace

By the way, Bolex's, seem to run forever. as long as you know how to load it properly and that it fires when its wound up and the trigger depressed then you can be almost certain that the camera is fine.

You can say that again. And it's not just the higher-end 16mm either. I have a Bolex Double8mm that is older than my mother, and it churns out amazing shot after amazing shot. It has never failed to deliver to me exactly the shot I need, right when I need it. (the camera fits into my pants pocket too, so it's always handy JIC something happens)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest MichaelCarter

Bolex springs change over time. What once was an accurate 24fps setting on the dial may well now only be 18fps. You will not get the correct exposure if the speed is not accurate. Get some old film and count off 240 frames or more and use a stop watch or just a second hand sweep. Put the film in and start the camera when the seconds are at 1200, let all the film run through and note the time. Keep the camera open. I did this and was able to make the camera run at exactly 24fps after a while. But the speed dial was set at over 36fps. It was marked with a thin line. I also did the same thing to find where the accurate 18fps setting was on the dial.

Guest MichaelCarter

If only it were that easy.

Instruction books for H16 and H8RX say that the clicks occure every 25cm (approx. 10 inches) of film for the H16 and every 8 inches for the H8RX.

Not all Bolex cameras click the same. I suppose different versions or dates of camera had different clicking patterns.

Stopwatch/ frame counter is the easy way to do it.

If speed is constant but off, it is the mechanical governor that's off (worn) - not uncommon with well used Bolexes...

Check frame line position when you do your registration test, it's easily adjutable but often off in used Bolex also.

I've gone back to the innocence of the Bolex lately, it's like choosing a Nikon F over a D1

B)

-Sam (F2 owner who will never sell it)

I've gone back to the innocence of the Bolex lately, it's like choosing a Nikon F over a D1

Agreed. I only wish Bolex made a 35mm version of their cameras. I'd take my non-reflex S-4 in 35mm over an Eyemo any day.

- G.

P.S. I also am an F-2 guy and will never sell until it breaks irreparibly.